You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher: target anchors not listed in Hyperlinks Studio

Hi,

I am fairly new to Publisher and I'm creating a digital planner.

I am using hyperlinks/anchors to link menu "buttons" to page content, but only the source links on my master pages display in the hyperlink studio, not their target anchors, despite being separately named elements.

Surely both hyperlink sources and target anchors should be showing in the studio? I've selected show all types, show anchors etc. am I missing something here?

Yes, I can click each source hyperlink and "go to target" but it would be easier to have targets listed in the studio too, especially for tasks like bulk-renaming. For example:  If I want to rename the source hyperlink, the studio displays them in a list and i can click to rename each one quickly without leaving whatever page I am on in the document; but to rename the target anchors I have to click "go to target" for each source, which takes me to the page, right click on the anchor and then click "Interactive>anchor properties" to rename it. 

Seems unnecessary when there's a studio called Hyperlinks they could be appearing in? 

2020-08-18 (2).png

Hi,

Sorry, I haven't quite explained clearly enough which links I am referring to. I am specifically referring to inserted text anchors that the hyperlinked shapes (or whatever you "insert hyperlink") are targeting.

An inserted anchor can only be inserted in a text frame with an active flashing cursor (when you select a shape/group you only get the option to "insert hyperlink" but when you click inside a text frame you get the option of "insert anchor"). See my simpler example attached. The "button" (hyperlinked group named Button) shows up in the Studio, but the text anchor it is linking to (named Anchor1) doesn't (I have selected "show anchors" so you can see where I inserted the text anchor).

If I moved my text anchor to a different page, I'd have to select my "button" from the hyperlink studio and click "go to target" to be able to find it. That gets tiring when you have lots of text anchors on loads of different pages.

So I'm asking why they are not also listed for ease in the studio. It would be much easier to manage my text anchors if they were listed like the other hyperlinks!

2020-08-18 (1).png

I find the same as you: the Hyperlinks studio panel only shows hyperlinks, not anchors. But that's because it's the Hyperlinks studio panel, and that's all it's supposed to show.

Try View > Studio > Anchors, which will give you the Anchors panel that has the information you're looking for.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The Hyperlink Panel doesn't show targets in its list, neither for anchors nor for other types of links. 

Possibly you missed to open the Anchor Panel, where you find all anchors being listed ...

https://affinity.help/publisher/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Panels/anchorsPanel.html?title=Anchors panel

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks both!!

My eyes completely missed the separate studio for anchors. I don't know why they aren't just one studio, but i will keep them tabbed next to each other now. So much easier.

thanks again!

22 minutes ago, SprindigoJo said:

I don't know why they aren't just one studio

To me they are two different things – even though each anchor usually has one hyperlink, or even more than one, or just none. I guess if the targets would be listed among links it can become confusing easily, especially if all targets (of other types, too) become requested to be listed additionally.

Feels a bit like Colours Panel + Swatches Panel: though each swatch is a colour – not every colour has a swatch.

However, you can arrange both panels to make them appear together, as kind of one panel 😉

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 1 month later...

I'm running into a similar problem. Working on a digital planner. Initially I was doing a 4 days per page for my weekly.  Inserted all my anchors. Hyperlinked them. Then modified the document so that it would be a 7 days per page. Deleted all the pages I didn't need. Preflighted it and got all kinds of errors regarding "Hyperlink to Invalid Anchor." I understand it. Went to both the anchor and hyperlink panels. Found the error in the hyperlink panel. Can't delete it. What can I do now? 

Thanks for any help.

AFD99B2B-DCA8-422C-A9C8-0744D5A7C2AD.jpeg

35 minutes ago, R. Eric Sonera said:

Found the error in the hyperlink panel. Can't delete it. What can I do now? 

You're saying that highlighting (selecting) the item and pressing Delete or clicking on the trashcan icon at the bottom of the panel don't work?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1