You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Random crashes when using Affinity Photo 1.8.4 (MacOS)

Installed 1.8.4. Experiencing a lot of crashes of the program, especially when loading 8 tif (scan) files at once (using drop on window of open file with from finder). Files aren't that big, 115 Mb each. After loading a file working profile is assigned or converted to. Using a Mac Pro (Mid 2010) with 16 GB internal mem, metal enabled, 2x quadcore. Didn't have this problem with previous version.

Disabled metal in AP. Rebooted the system.  Didn't change the behaviour: still crashes. Sometimes after loading/profile assigning/converting 1-3 files, sometimes after 6 files, sometimes after 1 file and sometimes during loading of the first file. Tried also loading 8, 5 and 4 files but that doesn't make any difference. Makes it quite unworkable once it happens.

Might be related to a failing HD and or corrupt .DS_store files as some research revealed. Random files failed to open also when copying giving the -36 I/O error. Clearing .DS_store made files accessible again for copying/opening in AP. Have to wait and see if hard disk is going to fail hardware wise.

That said/written: the fact that AP hard crashes when this type of error occurs without being able to see what is happening is not as it should be in my opinion. When trying to open a file that cannot be read from disk I expect an error message saying as much, not a hard crash. Tried to open the problematic file(s) in photoshop. They couln't be opened in PS either, but PS didn't crash but gave an error message that the file could not be opened due to an i/o error. Feature request!