You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Affinity community,

I've had a look in the forums but nothing is showing(maybe it's how I'm terming it).

Anyway, I have a canvas with a size of 798px *798px.

I also have an image 798px * 798px positioned 0px & 0px.

I also have a square/rectangle the same size 798px * 798px with 1px orange stroke on the inside positioned at 0px & 0px with no fill.

However the square/rectangle does not fit on the canvas. It disappears 1px & 1px to the right and bottom(in this case).

Is this an issue with me & my sizes or is it a bug.

In the attached image in image 1 at top you can see the selected rectangle is at 0px 0px & is 798px and that the canvas is also 798px.

In the bottom part of image (image 2) you can see the stroke disappears to the right & bottom.

This is happening in both AD & AP. I have tried changing where the stroke sits on inside, center, outside many times. This has happened quite a few times in the past & tonight I thought I have to try & solve it before it does my head in(that may be too late).

I've noticed this happening with images as well, that they sometimes they don't fill the canvas properly.

Any help appreciated.

shape_size_Vs_canvas_size.jpg.f5b1827ae4024a672e6bc7686081635f.jpg

Motto - STUPID HURTS!

I think the first thing you need to do is check that the X, Y, Width and Height values for all of your layers are on pixel boundaries (have integer values) rather than them just looking like they are. You can check this by going to Preferences / User Interface and changing the Decimal Places for Pixels to a high value, e.g. 6. Then look at the Transform Panel again to see what values are displayed. If there is anything after the decimal point then you need to enter an integer value in the field to make it a real integer.
If that doesn’t work then we will need to look further into the problem.

I think you've found some weirdness
WeirdStroke.afphoto is a simple square 798px. If you zoom in on a corner to 4800%, with the stroke at 1px it loses opacity, with the stroke at 2px the opacity is 100% but the width stays at 1px. Exporting both cases as pngs shows the same issue

Sorry couldn't help but an expert will hopefully be along in a minute

WeirdStrokes2.png

WeirdStrokes.png

WeirdStroke.afphoto

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

David: The problem you see is probably because the Stroke is Centred across the curve and, as such, when you have a 1px-thick stroke you have 0.5 pixels on each side of it. The software is trying to make something from 0.5 pixels and that’s what it comes up with. Try changing the alignment of the Stroke to Inside rather than Centred.
This could be part of Timespider’s problem but I wanted to make sure the pixel alignment was correct before getting onto this.

8 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Try changing the alignment of the Stroke to Inside rather than Centred.

Thanks for the comment but I don't know how to do that in Photo, the choices are stroke behind or in front

StokeInFront.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

• 3 months later...

border_inside_issue_photo.thumb.jpg.8061da1827af1a6a90328302be461eb6.jpgno_border_inside_issue_designer.thumb.jpg.a6a036f96ef7953853f79d4c33b6c84b.jpgHi again guys,

this is really annoying me. Images attached.

I just created a new square with 1pt(1.3px) border stroke inside. I used the transform panel width width 250px & height 250px & x,y positions 0,0.

I did it the same in both Photo & Designer.

The one in Photo has the issue where it seems to be a pt out and doesn't show the left & bottom border even when align center or left or all the rest.

But in Designer it's fine using the same technique.

Can someone help?

Motto - STUPID HURTS!