You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Damaged File

Hi,

I have a file that apparently is broken, saved in .703 beta last night. Won't open properly today.

1. Can I send it to you for examination? Maybe you can salvage some of the layers at least?

2. Where are the backups stored? Maybe I can salvage an older version this way?

This happened before but somehow the file fixed itself after rebooting. This one, not so much. This is a serious issue if I lost my work :/

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

6 hours ago, TEcHNOpls said:

Hi,

I have a file that apparently is broken, saved in .703 beta last night. Won't open properly today.

1. Can I send it to you for examination? Maybe you can salvage some of the layers at least?

2. Where are the backups stored? Maybe I can salvage an older version this way?

This happened before but somehow the file fixed itself after rebooting. This one, not so much. This is a serious issue if I lost my work :/

There are 2 folders found on Windows PC versions, users%usename%appData%Roaming%Affinity%Photo%1.0(Beta)%autosave or backup

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff

I think I've sorted it. I'll send you a message in case it needs to remain private.

Basically, I opened Publisher and went to the Document menu > Add Pages from File and it plopped the layers and such into the spread. Deleted the blank page and made sure the dimenions were roughly the same. Please inspect for accuracy :) 

• Staff

@TEcHNOpls Aht his is because I did it in Publisher. There's another methrod where you can place it as an embedded document in Photo.

Here are the steps to do this:

1. Placed it as an embedded document in a blank document
  2. Open it up using Edit Document
  3. Copy the base pixel layer
  4. New from clipboard to get the correct dimensions and bit depth
  5. Then copy all the other layers into the layer stack and save it

I'll message you a link to the new file.

I'm not sure what is causing this corruption. Where do you save your files to? Local HDD, cloud, SSD, USB etc.

• Staff

I've been asked to get the following from you:

1. OS version
  2. Affinity version
  3. The files themselves (you have the Dropbox link above)
  4. Did you do anything such as drop embedded documents into your file and perform an undo/redo before save
  5. Locations you save to, as mentioned above

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

I've been asked to get the following from you:

1. OS version
  2. Affinity version
  3. The files themselves (you have the Dropbox link above)
  4. Did you do anything such as drop embedded documents into your file and perform an undo/redo before save
  5. Locations you save to, as mentioned above

1. Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

2. AP 1.8.5.703

3. I'll upload both files in a minute.

4. I may have done some undo/redo, the file was open for an hour maybe, with some editing going on.

5. Local SSD drive. (Intel SSD 730 Series 240GB) Latest firmware according to Inter SSD Toolbox, will run full diag scan now.

So, I tired to recover the file...

1. Followed the instructions you provied

2. Renamed broken file

3. Tried saving new file.

4. Save appears to perform properly, but then I get "unable to load file, appeares to be corrupted"

5. File closes

6. Reopen file

7. Fails to load, AP hangs on closing the error dialog box.

8. Re-opening fails to load file.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Interesting. It seems to be a windows issue somehow. I did this workflow 

On 8/20/2020 at 8:57 AM, Chris B said:
  • Placed it as an embedded document in a blank document
  • Open it up using Edit Document
  • Copy the base pixel layer
  • New from clipboard to get the correct dimensions and bit depth
  • Then copy all the other layers into the layer stack and save it

And it resulted in a corrupt file on Windows. However, the same workflow produced a good file on macOS. You've got a PM with the fixed file.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.