You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.8.4 Colour Problem

This is a bit of a strange one. Affinity Photo (1.8.4 on Mac OS10.13.6 – High Sierra) has developed a problem of not seeming to honour embedded colour profiles when displaying the image. (Benq SW2700 Monitor, hardware calibrated and using the sRGB colourspace, although this problem is the same with Adobe RGB images in the Adobe colourspace) Images are shown dark – dark shadow areas blocking in – and oversaturated. This is most obvious with images that are rich and dense (I will attach some screen grabs that will show the problem) although it affects all images to a greater or lesser extent. 

The strange thing is that Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher display these images correctly as does Photoshop CS6, On1 10, Bridge 2020 and BridgeCS6 . What is even more peculiar if I switch to the Photo persona within Publisher there is no problem with the colour. An old version of Affinity Photo (1.6.7) doesn’t have this problem but a later version (1.7.3) does.

I have cleared all of the preferences etc (ctrl on startup), checked that there are no odd colour profiles set for the monitor and confirmed the embedded profiles all to no avail.

Unfortunately this makes Affinity Photo pretty much unusable for any colour critical work as the screen image bears very little relationship with the original file.

I am now at a loss to know what to do to solve this problem.

Affinity Photo Chess.jpeg

Affinity Designer Chess.jpeg

Photoshop CS6 Chess.jpeg

Affinity Publisher Chess.jpeg

APhoto Colour Settings.jpg

• Staff

Hi @Lefthand :)

Sorry to see you're having trouble and many thanks for the information you've provided - it's certainly helpful!

It would help to have a copy of this file, so that I can investigate this further. Could you please upload a copy of the image you're opening to the below link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/Q6BYF1ohk3Bbd3CgqFCa

Once completed, please reply here to let me know and I'll see what I can do - many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Good morning Dad,

Thank you for the reply. I've uploaded the image as requested plus another image which shows the problem even more clearly. Also there is a screen grab of what I see with the second image open plus the Navigator view. (The Navigator view is correct for colour etc.)

I hope this is helpful. If you need any more info just ask.

1 hour ago, Lefthand said:

The Navigator view is correct for colour

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff

Thanks for your files @Lefthand - I've opened these here on both Mac and Windows, in Photoshop & Affinity Photo. Please see my below screenshot showing Affinity Photo (left) and Photoshop CC 2020 (right) -

Screenshot_2020-08-19_at_16_29_22.png

Can you please confirm for me, what profile do you currently have set under System Preferences>Display>Colour? As Psenda has shown in the link provided, if the Navigator looks correct and the canvas does not then 9/10 times this is due to the colour profile in use. On my Mac,  I was using the built in 'iMac' calibrated profile.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Hi Dan,

This is the Display Profile (image) Made in Palette Master Element for the Benq monitor with a Datacolor Spyder 4.

As I said before it works perfectly in the other programmes as does the Adobe RGB  version, just not Affinity Photo.

I'll attach the actual profile .icc file as well.

Display Profile.jpeg

SW2700 1_D65_sRGB_L100_G22_Rel_2020-06-29T14.28.44Z.icc

it works perfectly in the other programmes

"Other programmes" may not use ICC profiles for display as strictly as Affinity. A common problem is setting the wrong ICC or damaging it. Try setting the default sRGB profile.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

"Other programmes" may not use ICC profiles for display as strictly as Affinity. A common problem is setting the wrong ICC or damaging it. Try setting the default sRGB profile.

I have tried the default sRGB profile and while its is a little 'better' I'm still confused as to why Affinity Photo is 'more strict' with profiles than the other programmes in the Affinity suite as well as Photoshop (which has been the default image manipulation programme for well over 20 years and in professional use worldwide).

If the .icc is damaged then this problem would surely show in other programmes and as shown it is set correctly in colour settings.

• Staff
17 minutes ago, Lefthand said:

I'm still confused as to why Affinity Photo is 'more strict' with profiles than the other programmes in the Affinity suite as well as Photoshop (which has been the default image manipulation programme for well over 20 years and in professional use worldwide).

As can be seen in the following article - https://affinityspotlight.com/article/display-colour-management-in-the-affinity-apps/ -

"The Affinity apps perform what is called document-to-screen colour profile conversion. This means that the colour values (or ‘numbers’ as we might refer to them) are translated from their initial document values based on the current display profile. This display profile is configured at the operating system level."

Other creative apps, such as Adobe, don't perform the same 'on screen conversion' and this is why Affinity apps can be more 'particular' regarding the Colour profile.

I have tested using your colour profile here on Windows and I'm not seeing the same issue as you, however I'll also be testing this on Mac and logging the file with our devs to see if we can handle this profile type better in the future.

I hope this clears things up :)

I'm still confused as to why Affinity Photo is 'more strict' with profiles than the other programmes in the Affinity suite

42 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Other creative apps, such as Adobe, don't perform the same 'on screen conversion' and this is why Affinity apps can be more 'particular' regarding the Colour profile.

@Dan C, that doesn't explain why @Lefthand is getting differing results when comparing Affinity apps against each other.

• Staff
3 minutes ago, anon2 said:

@Dan C, that doesn't explain why @Lefthand is getting differing results when comparing Affinity apps against each other.

I agree and this is why I'm continuing to investigate the issue with this specific profile on Mac as I couldn't replicate this on Windows, as below :)

51 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I'll also be testing this on Mac and logging the file with our devs to see if we can handle this profile type better in the future.

• Staff

Just as a quick follow up, I've been able to test and replicate this issue on Mac & there's certainly a bug here in how we're handling this custom profile - so I've reported this directly to our developers, including a copy of the ICC profile and image you're opening. Hopefully this will be fixed shortly :)