You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[APh] Feathering Tool

Rik

Well, I think we need that tool, and more.

We need, what I would call 'Graduated Feathering'.

This will allow the creation of excellent shadows.

There are many times, a shadow is reasonably sharp near the object, and gets more fuzzy further away from the object.

I've attempted to show this graduated feathering in the attached image.

post-809-0-32294500-1411329156_thumb.png

That would be sweet!

If the transparency tool had an option to gaussian blur as well on each stop, that would be epic and definitely unique I think.

• 9 months later...

Feathering is absolutely needed in my opinion if you want to achieve some perfection. Just my 2 cents but there is a BIG difference between working with a good feathering tool compared to the not so fine blur option which is all we get these days in new software.

It'd be a big improvement for my artwork. Just as good as the one Fireworks had. What a joy. High quiality.

Any idea if this could be considered?

• Staff

Hi Isabel,

Feathering was available in Affinity Designer in the first Betas as an FX Effect. However as TonyB pointed out, it was later removed because it wasn't working well enough. I believe it will return at some point. There was some discussions around this and even some good suggestions for improvements but with all work and time being devoted to other tools and Affinity Photo, this has slipped away from the radar... I'm sure it will be addressed later as it's indeed a very useful addition to Affinity Designer.

• 5 months later...

Oh man, I just had the BEST IDEA for feathering.  :)

Don't make it an effect from the effects modal, but instead, make it an actual tool and base it on how the corner tool works. You select a node (or multiple nodes, or the whole object) and drag out an inset from those nodes, just like the corner tool... but instead of rounding the corner, it creates a feathered edge based on the distance you dragged from the node. So you can feather different nodes in different amounts for anything from realistic shadows to detailed shading. Maybe the tool could also work on segments, so you could have things like sharp transitions from a feathered edge to a hard edge.

Honestly, I think this could push the need for a mesh fill tool way out there, maybe even replacing it. Especially with the edge functionality!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh man, I just had the BEST IDEA for feathering.  :)

Don't make it an effect from the effects modal, but instead, make it an actual tool and base it on how the corner tool works. You select a node (or multiple nodes, or the whole object) and drag out an inset from those nodes, just like the corner tool... but instead of rounding the corner, it creates a feathered edge based on the distance you dragged from the node. So you can feather different nodes in different amounts for anything from realistic shadows to detailed shading. Maybe the tool could also work on segments, so you could have things like sharp transitions from a feathered edge to a hard edge.

Honestly, I think this could push the need for a mesh fill tool way out there, maybe even replacing it. Especially with the edge functionality!

You did :) It's called per-point or variable-width feathering. Affinity folk have approved this feature here but am not sure when it's coming and to which apps?

—ALx

• 1 month later...

If anyone worked with Xara Designer Pro X11,feathering is really great and easy as hell.Create one like that would be so nice.By the way,why is the Selections and all the transparency and all that is nearly impossible to figure it out,banging my head on the walls right now. Sure i come back from Xara Designer,wish is a REALLY simple and intuitive,but i mean HELP me please.For the rest there's enough Tutos to work from !! If it came out clear for me,it is really great to work with Affinity products. Thanx  :)

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes please, please, pretty please to feathering ... much needed. I used that a great deal in Drawplus.

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

• 4 weeks later...