You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello There!

I'm having troubles with Hyphenation on my Afiinity Publisher (1.8.4) running on Mac OS 10.14.3. It just does not work. I can set the dictionary in spanish and also the Hyphenation dictionary. But my text appears with no hyphenation on it. I've tried in english also and no matter what I do, I can't get the text to "break" any word.

Am I missing something basic?

Thank's a lot!

Have you enabled automatic hyphenation? That's a setting in the Paragraph panel (or in the text style), if I remember correctly.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome. Good to hear that resolved it.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 2 weeks later...

Why are there 2 settings for what seems one function (see images at the bottom conserning hyphenation)?

image.png.052b736ca988194c61dd8641c43e281a.png

and

image.png.e86ec162f1ab6517325ec4407c695938.png

makes no sense to me.

And: It would be marrvellous to choose the language for the whoe document in the document settings - it still may be locally overwritten. But it is a bummer to degroup everything ina large document hust to make sure you got all textblocks when choosing the language.

1 hour ago, abra100pro said:

Why are there 2 settings for what seems one function

Whether automatic hyphenation is used, or not, is a paragraph function because it's related to justification.

How hyphenation is applied to any particular word is a character function, because individual words in a paragraph can have different languages specified.

1 hour ago, abra100pro said:

It would be marrvellous to choose the language for the whoe document in the document settings - it still may be locally overwritten. But it is a bummer to degroup everything ina large document hust to make sure you got all textblocks when choosing the language.

There are two things that may help you:

• First, the Base paragraph text style will inherit the language from the UI language preference. Thus, if you want your document to be in the same language you use for the UI, that's automatic.
  • Next, if you use text styles, you can set the language via the text style not via the Character panel. And if you use text styles that inherit from Base (as all the default text styles do) or some other text style that you define, just setup your base text style to have the language you want. Then, as long as you consistently use paragraph text styles, you have the language set for everything.

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC: