You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2ND drawing using affinity designer

buko

The lovely 3D appearance of the Panther logo only serves to make the rest of the drawing look rather flat and unfinished, but it’s hugely better than I could do!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I’m hardly the best person to advise you, but it’s all about light and shade. Create two duplicates of each shape and fill one with white (for highlights) and the other with black (for shadows). Apply a gradient transparency to make the highlight/shadow appear only where it’s needed.

Make sure to set the angle of the gradient fills so that the light appears to come consistently from one direction.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry @Alfred, I quite like the 'flat' illustration contrasting with the more 3D logo. It's got individualism to it - an individual style. Flatter styles of illustration have been in more demand over recent years too.

It's all taste of course, there's no I'm right and you're wrong. It's just opinion and all opinions are valid. Only the artist is right 🙂

If you'd like to make it more 3D Phil (@buko), try sticking a temporary pixel layer over it on a "multiply" setting and airbrushing some grey tints onto where you think it'd be in shadow. I sometimes do it the other way round. I cover the whole illustration in a 50% grey and erase where I think the light will catch it. Sometimes that's easier.

Or even do both as two separate layers. One for shadows and one for highlights.

Photo reference can help a lot with this, though you'd be surprise how 'thereabouts' you can be with it.

Then you could either leave the pixel layer in place or translate it into vector shapes (just as @Alfred  suggests) with opacity and gradients - again set to multiply. I find I use multiply a lot.

Great illustration as is IMHO.. if you choose to experiment, I'd be interested to see where you take it. I happen to love these machines.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

Thank you very much for the tips, I am not really a capable user of any drawing program, and i have used many, because i like to try, but now today i have just been given a small wacom pen and tablet to use and have found it so much better that trying to draw with a mouse, however i am now trying to learn to draw, learn how to use designer program, and learn to use the pen all at the same time, haha quite a task really. I am pleased with the Panther but it took me ages to do it, probably 20 hours bit by bit, but  i am not in any hurry also. I hope to be able to do better in the future, and once again thanks for comments and tips on this.

Love it flat or otherwise. The only part that's optically bothering me is the front tire and the front fender. Not sure if its my eyes or the illustration. The top portion of the tire looks narrower as compared to the lower half. My eye wants to shift the black tire shape up and have half of the fender overlapping. I don't think moving the fender down will solve the disparity.

The said, great job. All the parts look proportionately correct. Like the color scheme too.

Now you have pointed it out I can see exactly what you mean, it does look weird. It should look smaller at the top because the fender would be covering some of it but it definately doesn't look right, it also looks like the fender is behind the tyre....hmmm must have been after I had a beer lol, thanks for letting me know as I never noticed it