Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I purchased AP on 7/31.  Since then I have CONSTANTLY dealt with problems.  I've spent DAYS in this forum, on google and on youtube,  Still doesn't work.

The paint brush when masking.

Freeing my computer when I click on LUT.

Blur tool brush.

I am through.  I'll get something else.

 

Capture-27.PNG

Capture-28.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read through your previous posts - strange that no one asked what OS and graphics card you are using, and if you have tried disabling GPU acceleration (Preferences > Performance > Hardware acceleration).  If you are on a Windows machine, are your drivers for your video card up to date?  

Try disabling GPU/hardware acceleration and restart the application.  Maybe this might help narrow down the scope of your issues.  I'm sure it's frustrating.

If you choose to continue with AP, you might want to consider watching the tutorial videos about masking and nesting adjustment layers - it appears that some of your screenshots have some strange nesting of layers and masks with nothing to mask, etc.  Masks and Channels in AP are different than in Photoshop and some other pixel editors and it can be little confusing at first to adjust your thought process to completing a specific task.

 

 

Kirk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, kirkt said:

If you are on a Windows machine, are your drivers for your video card up to date?

It’s clear from the screenshots both here and in her other threads that Nita is indeed on a Windows machine.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.6 • Designer for iPad 1.8.6 • iPadOS 14.2 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, kirkt said:

I read through your previous posts - strange that no one asked what OS and graphics card you are using, and if you have tried disabling GPU acceleration (Preferences > Performance > Hardware acceleration).  If you are on a Windows machine, are your drivers for your video card up to date?  

Try disabling GPU/hardware acceleration and restart the application.  Maybe this might help narrow down the scope of your issues.  I'm sure it's frustrating.

If you choose to continue with AP, you might want to consider watching the tutorial videos about masking and nesting adjustment layers - it appears that some of your screenshots have some strange nesting of layers and masks with nothing to mask, etc.  Masks and Channels in AP are different than in Photoshop and some other pixel editors and it can be little confusing at first to adjust your thought process to completing a specific task.

 

 

Kirk

Thank you for the response...it is appreciated.

 

Yes, my drivers are up to date but, I am honestly done.  I have been trying for two weeks.  I'm so darn stressed out.

 

Thank you again.

Nita

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nita Reed said:

I purchased AP on 7/31.  Since then I have CONSTANTLY dealt with problems.  I've spent DAYS in this forum, on google and on youtube,  Still doesn't work.

The paint brush when masking.

Freeing my computer when I click on LUT.

Blur tool brush.

I am through.  I'll get something else.

Capture-28.PNG

This image looks correct to me, because the mask isn’t nested to the background layer it’s masking all layers under it to the white background, I bet you don’t have transparent background set Document > Transparent Background because if you did you’d see the transparency checkerboard where the white area’s are.


iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't see the checkerboard because it is painting white.  The mask has been above, below, child...you name it...it never works right.  Not ever.  And, nothing ever changes that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it’s a done deal now but when people ask for an afphoto file, in part, it’s to test on their systems to see if it’s an anomaly on your system, i.e. it behaves correctly on their system or it really is the document and Affinity Photo being a pain, it’s really the only way to test files in situations like this. I know it’s frustrating sometimes but we can still help if you are up for it at a later date. 

If you feel like it just upload the file in the screenshot if you still have it and I or one of the people on here can take a look see.

 


iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, firstdefence said:

it’s really the only way to test files in situations like this

If you don’t want others to test your files, the next best thing is to try out a simple scenario yourself. Keeping it simple — so there aren’t too many variables — will help you get a clear idea of what’s going on.

Try loading an image, adding a pixel layer on top and flood-filling the new layer with a mid-grey. Add a few broad brush strokes in black and white to get something like this:78555CFC-24EB-4834-B4DC-FC7B9F845D54.jpeg.f82c0c553165a811f050d3c7d3a66ebf.jpeg

Now go to the Layers panel, right-click on the new layer and choose ‘Rasterize to Mask’. The original image should show through at full opacity where the white brush strokes are, there should be full transparency where the black brush strokes are, and everything else should be semi-transparent (i.e. a faded version of the base image).


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.6 • Designer for iPad 1.8.6 • iPadOS 14.2 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Nita Reed said:

You don't see the checkerboard because it is painting white.  The mask has been above, below, child...you name it...it never works right.  Not ever.  And, nothing ever changes that.

The Colour panel shows your active colour is black. You are painting black on the otherwise white mask, and that is correctly revealing the white of the canvas as @firstdefence told you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, anon2 said:

The Colour panel shows your active colour is black. You are painting black on the otherwise white mask, and that is correctly revealing the white of the canvas as @firstdefence told you.

Shouldn't the "black" paint brush reveal the black pixel layer...not the canvas?

Capture-32.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Nita Reed said:

Shouldn't the "black" paint brush reveal the black pixel layer...not the canvas?

Capture-32.PNG

The mask is not nested in the layer named Background, so it affects Background and anything below Background. Drag the mask thumbnail and drop it on Background's thumbnail to nest the mask so it only affects Background.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saying “Paint splatter effect issue (didn’t work)” doesn’t give us much to work with.
We don’t know what you are trying to achieve so it’s difficult to know what instructions to give you to achieve it.
I assume that you want the paint splatter effect to be overlaid in some way over the image but we need to know exactly what you want to do otherwise we could give you all sorts of answers none of which may answer your needs.
If you are working from a tutorial then if you give a link to it then we can look at that too.

Painting on the mask, in the second case, will make the hair invisible because the mask is masking both “Background (Pixel)” layers (one is inside the other). Try arranging your layers like those in my (very rough) screen-grab (if that’s what you want to do).

Annotation 2020-08-17 125218.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nita Reed said:

2 files

Paint splatter effect issue ( didn't work)

paintbrush issue ("black" erased her hair when I tried to remove the texture from it)

dark_romance_couple-plaint_spatter_effect.afphoto 4.29 MB · 0 downloads woman_beautiful_serious-texture_overlay-paintbrush_issue.afphoto 3.34 MB · 0 downloads

Both examples: the problem is not the software. The software is correctly rendering according to your layering structure, but that structure is incorrect for the results you are trying to obtain.

nita1.thumb.png.5529758520039db20a2abe864d152ca0.png

nita2.thumb.png.c006e0c5c541f4d4699666d1f9a4a7ae.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, anon2 said:

The mask is not nested in the layer named Background, so it affects Background and anything below Background. Drag the mask thumbnail and drop it on Background's thumbnail to nest the mask so it only affects Background.

I'll try that, thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Just saying “Paint splatter effect issue (didn’t work)” doesn’t give us much to work with.
We don’t know what you are trying to achieve so it’s difficult to know what instructions to give you to achieve it.
I assume that you want the paint splatter effect to be overlaid in some way over the image but we need to know exactly what you want to do otherwise we could give you all sorts of answers none of which may answer your needs.
If you are working from a tutorial then if you give a link to it then we can look at that too.

Painting on the mask, in the second case, will make the hair invisible because the mask is masking both “Background (Pixel)” layers (one is inside the other). Try arranging your layers like those in my (very rough) screen-grab (if that’s what you want to do).

Annotation 2020-08-17 125218.png

Sorry.  What else would I be putting the plaint spatter effect on...if not the image?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may need to define what you mean by “on”. For instance, do you want the splatter to only affect the “Background(Pixel)” layer or the whole image? See my two attached images which show a big difference.

Annotation 2020-08-17 130704.png

Annotation 2020-08-17 130720.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Just saying “Paint splatter effect issue (didn’t work)” doesn’t give us much to work with.
We don’t know what you are trying to achieve so it’s difficult to know what instructions to give you to achieve it.
I assume that you want the paint splatter effect to be overlaid in some way over the image but we need to know exactly what you want to do otherwise we could give you all sorts of answers none of which may answer your needs.
If you are working from a tutorial then if you give a link to it then we can look at that too.

Painting on the mask, in the second case, will make the hair invisible because the mask is masking both “Background (Pixel)” layers (one is inside the other). Try arranging your layers like those in my (very rough) screen-grab (if that’s what you want to do).

Annotation 2020-08-17 125218.png

Gary P - I'm really amazed at the trouble you have gone to to help this user.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MikeK36 said:

Gary P - I'm really amazed at the trouble you have gone to to help this user.......

WOW!  A good example of why I've been pulling my hair out.  Must be nice to be so superior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s no trouble MikeK36; if I didn’t want to do it then I wouldn’t bother.
The way I see it is, if I can put a bit of time and effort into helping someone – as many others have helped me – to get to grips with the software a little bit better and not be frustrated with it then that’s for the good.
(Plus I think other people have put more effort into this thread than me.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, anon2 said:

Both examples: the problem is not the software. The software is correctly rendering according to your layering structure, but that structure is incorrect for the results you are trying to obtain.

nita1.thumb.png.5529758520039db20a2abe864d152ca0.png

nita2.thumb.png.c006e0c5c541f4d4699666d1f9a4a7ae.png

 

I swear if you solve this for me I'm gonna hunt you down and steal you!  Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GarryP said:

It’s no trouble MikeK36; if I didn’t want to do it then I wouldn’t bother.
The way I see it is, if I can put a bit of time and effort into helping someone – as many others have helped me – to get to grips with the software a little bit better and not be frustrated with it then that’s for the good.
(Plus I think other people have put more effort into this thread than me.)

Thank you for the explanation.  I'll try to be more thorough in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.