You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Navigator zoom level

I have trouble understanding what the zoom level in the navigator studio means. If I have created a document canvas with a width and height in mm and a grid of 10 mm, I would expect to see a grid of 10 mm at a zoom level of 100%. But AD gives a grid of about 20 mm at 100%. Is there a setting I am missing?

Yes, the help in both apps does not specifically talk about these does it.

My little experiment...

AF Photo - iPad

1. 6 inch wide / 1,800 px wide (300dpi)  - 50% displays 3.5 inches wide
  2. 6 inch wide / 900 px wide (150dpi) - 50% displays  1.75 inch wide

So AF Photo is zooming here by calculating something relative to the dpi,  but drifts a bit because of some error in there (See edit below).

AF Designer - iPad

1. 6 inch wide / 1800 px wide (300dpi) - 50% displays 6 inch wide exactly... double checked.. that's the 50% button in Navigator studio
  2. 6 inch wide / 900 px wide (150dpi) - 50% displays same as above.
  3. Another document 11.95 inches wide / 3,585 px wide (300 dpi) - 50% displays 9.75 inch wide (should be 5.975 inches wide) - or if 50% is the new 100% as with the 6 inch document, then it's still wrong. It appears to be behaving different from the 6 inch document... and brain fog decends here

EDIT...

The screen resolution of my iPad is supposed to be 264 ppi (Pixels per inch). So a 1,800 px wide image displayed at 50% using 264 ppi calculates out as 3.4 inches... see number 1 above which I think I rounded-up (AF Photo). So AF Photo is displaying the zoom by using dpi and screen resolution - ignoring millimetre, centimetre and inches settings?

What AF Designer is doing... I haven't checked this.. but I surmise it might be displaying the image by translating inches into screen resolution....? Though 3 throws a spanner in there...? LIke I say, I've suddenly come over tired and am struggling so I'll abandon this now.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

6 minutes ago, Markio said:

the zoom levels in AD for a document with sizes in mm display as 50% in navigator actually is 100% on screen

and 100% in navigator is 200% on screen. 

What is your document DPI?

If it's 72DPI (or 144DPI, perhaps) then you may be seeing an effect of the Retina-display support in the Affinity applications.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1