You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change default opening application for photos

Which OS?  On a Mac, you can click on one of the files and use the keyboard shortcut CMD-I (capital i) to "Get Info."  In the Get Info panel that comes up, you can select the default application ("a" in the screenshot) to open these types of files (based on their extension, essentially).  Once you choose the new default application, the option to change this setting for all files of this type will be enabled ("b" in the screenshot).  On my Mac, I have JPEGs set to use the Preview app, which displays their thumbnail as their icon within the OS.

Kirk

GetInfo.jpg

50 minutes ago, kirkt said:

On a Mac, you can click on one of the files and use the keyboard shortcut CMD-I (capital i) to "Get Info."

I’m not a Mac user but I’d be surprised if you really have to type a capital i (i.e. Shift+i) for this.

On Windows you can right-click and choose ‘Open With...’ from the context menu.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)