You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have searched but could not find any mention of using color charts for color correction in photos. I apologize if I have, inadvertently, overlooked one.

I see that I can use a single white pixel or patch to help correct white balance and, indeed, this is helpful but I am wondering if I can do more. I have the Datacolor SpyderCHECKR 24 color patch and used to make test shots with this in the photo. I know that other software has a very simple way of using the entire chart to optimize white balance correction. Though tedious, I could enter a list of true colors and then select the corresponding pixels in the photo. Does anyone know of an add-on or separate software that would take this information and return the optimized color temperature and tint correction for Affinity Photo. Having such a tool would enable me to get a good starting point for my processing of RAW files.

With thanks,

Robin

• Staff

Hi @RobinMcL :)

Unfortunately I don't believe there's such a tool/plugin for Affinity currently, however our devs are working on an integration feature for Spyder devices currently and we hope to include this in a future release.

In the meantime, I'll move this post to the feedback section of our forums for our devs to see and consider - I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hello,

Thanks for moving my comment to this forum. Here I will take the opportunity to give a better idea of the user interface I feel would be very helpful.

I made a mistake. Since I had not used it for a while I got mixed up with which SyderCHECK I had. I have the 48 patch one. However, I think it would be nice to support both the 24 patch and 48 patch charts. BUt I would like much more flexibility.

• The ability to work with several common charts (Datacolors 24 and 48 but other too).
  • The ability to select a subset of colors from the chart rather than them all. (I may have an image where certain tones are utterly critical but others are not.)
  • The ability to design and store my own custom chart.

That would be fantastic. In the meantime,...

Great product.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Doesn't we have LUT adjustment layer that could do it?       You take your photo with color charts, crop it to keep the chart only, save as pict1  ,  overpaint/fill  your square  color samples with  their intended values  as they intended to be  ( I recall the value should be mentioned somewhere, on opposite side maybe or in some pdf doc)  and save pic2.    Now you have  original chart pic   and color accurate  chart pic

In LUT layer  hit "Infer LUT"   and it asks you for original image and supposed to be image . or in opposite order maybe.    Done . You have a correcting LUT  to accurate color rendition.   Save as a preset and apply to big image and all other images done with same lighting conditions. 

That said I lost my x-rite chart long ago  so have not tried it in Affinity Photo  but I recall I did it similar way  with other soft decades ago.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

• 2 months later...

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/15/2020 at 2:22 PM, Dan C said:

Hi @RobinMcL :)

Unfortunately I don't believe there's such a tool/plugin for Affinity currently, however our devs are working on an integration feature for Spyder devices currently and we hope to include this in a future release.

In the meantime, I'll move this post to the feedback section of our forums for our devs to see and consider - I hope this helps!

Any updates about the progress of the integration ? 

• Staff

Unfortunately the Affinity apps still don't currently support direct integration of the Spyder colour calibrators and this is still with our development team to be considered, my apologies.

As outlined in the below post, it's possible to use the generated ICC profiles within Affinity, without the need for direct integration:

I hope this clears things up

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

Unfortunately the Affinity apps still don't currently support direct integration of the Spyder colour calibrators and this is still with our development team to be considered, my apologies.

As outlined in the below post, it's possible to use the generated ICC profiles within Affinity, without the need for direct integration:

I hope this clears things up

OK thank you Dan, I’ll try that workflow 

• 2 months later...

I use my homemade  method.

In LUT adjustment layer  I hit "infer LUT"   and select original photo of the color charts  and secondly  edited photo of  same color charts where I edited all  colors squares  to their proper numeric  ( target) values.   Like spectral red  be 255,0,0 etc.    Those values is written on the back of charts card.     DONE   . You have  LUT  transforming layer/preset   you can apply to all photos you did in same session/lighting setup you took your original image of color charts card.

IMO it works no worse than  automatted  X-rite soft  for image/camera  profiling   I used before .   Before I misplaced my  X-rite color "pasport" charts    somewhere  and bought non-name cheap charts card