You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File sizes of new pdfs created from old publisher files are way too large

Kaysar

Hi,

On three occasions recently the file sizes of new pdfs created from old Affinity Publisher were massive.

By ‘old’ I mean files which I’ve not worked on for a few months. This problem happens which I open and old file and make a few changes. The changes aren’t drastic, just a couple of photos or images added/removed our chapters swapped around.

A doc which used to export to 4mb at 300 dpi and JPEG compression at 80% now exports at 102mb! Even when set to 192 dpi the file exports at 46mb.

No matter how much I play around with the export settings I can’t resolve this issue. My only work-around is to open a new file and copy and paste the layers over. 

Is this a bug?

Hi Lagarto,

Yes, the text exports as text. I can select and copy it from a PDF and paste it into a word doc. 

In the Exports option panel, under Rasterize if I select the  'Nothing' then the file size is reduced back to a manageable size. However the file doesn't match my original design.

All other non-affected files are selected to only rasterize 'Unsupported properties' only, and they export fine.

So I wonder what has happened to the text in this fles to make them export so massively?

Also, when I delete all text boxes and export the file with just the images, it exports fine and the size is manageable. So it problem has to be with the text.

It happens if I export just parts of the document.

However, I've just spotted something. I think it's to do with Colour space set at RGB.

When I exported document as 'Press ready, colour space at CMYK', it exports fine.

When I exported document at 'Digital - High quality, colour space at RGB', it exports massively at 102mb.

If I then export document at 'Digital - High quality, colour space at CYMK' it exports fine.

I've attached the 3 files.

What is it about Colour space at RGB that's making this document export at large sizes? All my other documents print fine with RGB?

mk2_Press_ready_300dpi_CMTK.pdf mk2_Print_high_quality_300dpi_CMYK.pdf mk2_Print_high_quality_300dpi_RGB.pdf

Hi Lagarto,

I replicated the issue you identified. Removing the blue shapes reduced the file size, but only by a bit.

Strangely, when I painstakingly copy and pasted all of the layers onto a new blank document, the problem had disappeared and the exported file size was normal again.

I wish the was a way to check, i.e. via the preflight check, which layers could cause exported file sizes to balloon.