You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I just learned about column guides, and realized that they would be useful for the magazine layouts that I'm doing.  However, when I tested the column guides, the column shading worked fine, but I was surprised to see that I couldn't snap anything to the edges of the shaded columns or to the center of the gutters between the columns.  I checked the snapping options for my document, and "Snap to guides" is enabled.  Is snapping to column guides supported in version 1.8.4, and if so, what do I need to do in order to enable this?

Thanks,

Ken

• Staff

Hi @Ken Hjulstrom :)

18 hours ago, Ken Hjulstrom said:

I was surprised to see that I couldn't snap anything to the edges of the shaded columns or to the center of the gutters between the columns.

Unfortunately it's not possible to snap to the centre of the gutters, however with the following snapping settings I'm able to snap objects to the edges of the shaded areas -

image.png#

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 8/15/2020 at 8:16 AM, Dan C said:

Hi @Ken Hjulstrom :)

Unfortunately it's not possible to snap to the centre of the gutters, however with the following snapping settings I'm able to snap objects to the edges of the shaded areas -

image.png#

I hope this helps!

Hi @Dan C,

This works, thanks!  Now that I had a working example, I did some testing to see what snap settings I was using resulted in snapping to column guides to not work.  Surprisingly, unchecking the "Only snap to visible objects" checkbox caused the snapping to column guides to stop working.  I didn't expect this, since I would have expected unchecking "Only snap to visible objects" to enable snapping to non-visible objects as well as to visible objects; not to reduce the set of snap-able objects at all.  Could you please confirm that you can repeat this behavior?  If so, then I'll report this as a probable bug.

Thanks again,

Ken

• Staff

No problem at all Ken, thanks for letting me know!

I can confirm that I've replicated this behaviour here and I don't believe it to be 'by design' - as these guides are visible regardless of this setting and in my opinion should always snap.

I'll be logging this as a bug with our developers now, many thanks :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Kelly Bellis said:

In Windows desktop AfPub2 v 2.0.3, picture frame rectangle tool isn't snapping to column guides irrespective of Only snap to visible objects being checked or unchecked.

Here on Mac OS 11.7 I can snap to the column guides regardless of the Visible Objects status. Oddly the snapping works equally well if I have only Guides or only Margins checked, it is as though the Column Guides are Margins and Guides. There needs to be more than just one Column and or Row for this treatment of the Guides as Margins to work.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi @Kelly Bellis,

I can confirm this issue was resolved for both V1 & therefore V2 Publisher - however I'm not 100% certain this original issue is the same thing you are reporting above.

The report is referring to Column Guides for the Document, not for columns within a Text Frame, and this continues to work as expected for me in V2, the following is with 'Only snap to visible objects' disabled:

da65d1729c36db740a33e82e797ed8f4.gif

However, in my testing I am finding that snapping to Text Frame columns does appear to be broken currently. If you create a text frame and add columns, then with the relevant snapping options enabled, select the text frame and then select the Picture Frame tool, you should find the objects snap correctly.

If you then deselect all objects, and reselect the newly drawn, snapped picture frame and move it using the Move Tool, it will no longer snap to the same text frame columns. However if you resize using the move tool, it will snap.

It appears as though these text frame columns are only used as snapping candidates when resizing or drawing an object, if you are simply moving an object they appear not to be used.

Therefore I will be logging this as a bug with our developers, as I don't believe this is correct.

Is this the issue you are encountering above please? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

@Dan C Thank you for the reply and for your tests; and yes, affirming the no-snap issue is with multi-column text frames.

Also, many thanks for the workaround using Guides, Column Guides!

Something for later: It would be cool to see highlighted Column Guides when applying the Quick Grid feature's spacing long-press of the arrow key - reference Ben Vining at

• Staff

No problem at all, thanks for your confirmation!

23 minutes ago, Kelly Bellis said:

Something for later: It would be cool to see highlighted Column Guides when applying the Quick Grid feature's spacing long-press of the arrow key

Thanks for your feedback here also, I can certainly see the benefits of this and therefore I'll get this logged as an improvement suggestion with our devs now :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

22 hours ago, Dan C said:

It appears as though these text frame columns are only used as snapping candidates when resizing or drawing an object, if you are simply moving an object they appear not to be used.

Therefore I will be logging this as a bug with our developers, as I don't believe this is correct.

This is already broken in v1.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that also loukash, I'll update the development report to include V1 now :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 8 months later...
On 1/6/2023 at 4:44 PM, Dan C said:

Any news, Dan? Still broken as of 2.2.0

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know and I'm sorry to hear this - unfortunately this issue is still marked as unresolved currently.

I've updated the development log and 'bumped' this issue with the team, to bring it to their attention once again.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!