You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lock Floating Window Size

Hello!

Floating documents are a great feature in any creative app, they're great for references, seeing your document at a different size, etc.

However, the Affinity suite of apps do a very frustrating thing when a document is opened in a floating window. If you already have a floating window, and a new document opens in that floating window, it will MASSIVELY resize it. Sometimes becoming even larger than the monitor it is on. It would be amazing if the size of a floating window was locked, so that it does not automatically change when documents are opened within them. As it is right now, the feature is nice, but leaves me pulling my hair out in frustration as I constantly have to resize windows to make any use of it.

Example 1 shows how I might use a floating window. In this case to quickly preview an image at a smaller size.

Example 2 shows what happens if open a file within that floating window. Bloating to an enormous size, and needlessly going completely off the screen on the bottom and right.

Example 1.png

Example 2.png

Separate mode / floating windows performance is at the moment most unsatisfactory. Usually windows open too small, apparently following the size of smallest monitor in setup (when they should follow the active monitor size). Also, toolbars, toolbox and palettes tend to get lost and need reset in startup to get them back.

9 hours ago, Fixx said:

Separate mode / floating windows performance is at the moment most unsatisfactory. Usually windows open too small, apparently following the size of smallest monitor in setup (when they should follow the active monitor size). Also, toolbars, toolbox and palettes tend to get lost and need reset in startup to get them back.

Well that would certainly explain why it opens as such a large window by default. My second monitor is 1920x1080 where my main monitor is 2560x1440.

I'd be more than happy if Affinity dealt with floating Windows exactly the same way that Photoshop does, I've had no cause for complaint with the sizing calculations (and compromises ) that Photoshop employs.  As it stands with Affinity Photo, every time I open a file it's a two step process - open file and resize display (I never work with tabbed images, only floating ones, and usually lots of 'em).

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

26 minutes ago, AndyQ said:

I'd be more than happy if Affinity dealt with floating Windows exactly the same way that Photoshop does, I've had no cause for complaint with the sizing calculations (and compromises ) that Photoshop employs.  As it stands with Affinity Photo, every time I open a file it's a two step process - open file and resize display (I never work with tabbed images, only floating ones, and usually lots of 'em).

I would 100% be on-board with this. As is, using floating windows is just painful. Especially when you accidentally open a new file when your last focused window was a floating one.