You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I do an SVG export and exclude images?

I was wondering if there's a way to do an SVG export but exclude any images from the export. I basically want an SVG that I can work with which has all of the outline information separately, and save the graphics portion of the drawing as a separate bitmap. I thought that selecting the "Nothing" option for the Rasterize menu option under the export menu might work, but it did not. 

I did some additional debug, and I found that by changing the zoom level of the bitmap patterns that I'm using, I can make the tool either include the image in the SVG export or exclude the image when the "Nothing" option is selected in the Rasterize menu option. Sounds like a bug??

Yet some additional debug data. If I select all items to export, I can then go into the export menu and select for the Area "Selection with background". If I then subsequently pick '"Selection without background", then the tool will not export the images. Can someone explain if my interpretation of how the "Nothing" option for Rasterize is correct? If so, it sounds like it's not working correctly for SVG export.

Edited by WavyDavy
Additional debug info

• Staff

Hi @WavyDavy and Welcome to the Forums,

This is working as expected.  The rasterise control will only stop non-raster objects becoming rasterised.  So if you already have some raster data present, that will still be present in the export.  

The issue you raised with the zoom level is interesting, do you have a sample file and what zoom level do i need to set in order to see the issue?

Stokerg, thanks for your reply. So, it sounds like there's no way to do what I'm trying to do, correct?

I can put together an example for you of the zoom level behavior, but what about the behavior that I noticed in the last paragraph of my post where I can also prevent the image data from being exported by selecting a filled object, going to the export menu, selecting the export only selected item with background option, and then selecting the export only item selected without background option?  This will prevent the image from being exported. If I just go directly to the export item selected without background option, then the image is exported.

Well, I went back to try to recreate some of the original behavior, and it's not happening at the moment. I must have been in a strange state. Now the tool is doing what I wanted, which is that when I do the export and tell it to rasterize nothing, then no images are included in the SVG. If it comes back, I'll update the post.