You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - How to start new Curve from Curve Layer?

Hi,

when I select a pen tool, and want to start drawing a curve, whenever I finish drawing a curve and want to start a new one, I don't know how to do that. Switching to a different tool and then back to the Pen too doesn't start drawing a new layer, but rather continues extending the curve on the current layer from last drawn point. When I go to Layer menu, there's no such thing as a "New Curve Layer". The only workaround is to create a new Pixel layer, then select it, and then start using Pen tool, which creates another new Curve layer. But that is really just that, a workaround. There must be some "right" way to do it. 

Basically, since Pen tool currently allows only one open or closed curve per Curve layer, I can't really figure out what's the proper workflow if I want to just quickly sketch a few curves in a rapid succession, for example something as trivial as this:

image.png.2bfe736f38a0710c2daf83b9053d7478.png

Thanks in advance.

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Press the Escape key on your keyboard to deselect the current curve so that you can start a new one.

Ah, thanks. That's not very discoverable :)

I have one more question. Whenever I merge several Curve layer together, it creates a new layer of "Curves" type, which can contain multiple curves at once. I probably know what the answer is already but asking anyway just in case. Is there any way to create and Pen draw onto this "Curves" layer which can contain multiple curves at once? When I draw one Curve per layer, as soon as the new Curve layer is created, Curves drawn on previous layers cease to be visible, so I can only view one at a time.

13 minutes ago, rawalanche said:

Whenever I merge several Curve layer together, it creates a new layer of "Curves" type, which can contain multiple curves at once. I probably know what the answer is already but asking anyway just in case. Is there any way to create and Pen draw onto this "Curves" layer which can contain multiple curves at once

You can do this in Affinity Designer but I can’t think of a way to do it in Affinity Photo. (I don’t understand why your existing curves cease to be visible, unless they have zero width and their visibility is therefore dependent on their remaining selected.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, rawalanche said:

I have one more question. Whenever I merge several Curve layer together, it creates a new layer of "Curves" type, which can contain multiple curves at once. I probably know what the answer is already but asking anyway just in case. Is there any way to create and Pen draw onto this "Curves" layer which can contain multiple curves at once? When I draw one Curve per layer, as soon as the new Curve layer is created, Curves drawn on previous layers cease to be visible, so I can only view one at a time.

In both AD and APh:
With Pen selected make sure this button is selected in the context toolbar.
(As far as "ceasing to be visible:, I concur with @Alfred in the previous post)
1116045066_addtocurves.png.20d0f9bff8903edeab63ffd55c47236f.png

On 8/14/2020 at 2:27 PM, rawalanche said:

That's not very discoverable :)

Escape key is standard key for stop/interrupt in most application/OS. 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.