You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient fill and noise filter not working anymore (v1.8.4)

I just checked here on Mac OS 10.12.6 and can add that if I start with a solid colour which has noise and change to a Gradient fill the gradient fill will have that level of noise on both stops but as soon as I change to a different level/amount of noise for a stop then the noise is cleared from that stop.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi valorbyte,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for reporting this issue. It's indeed a regression from v1.8.3. I'm logging this to be looked at.

@Old Bruce,
I'm not able to reproduce this here (on Mojave) and unfortunately don't have access to a macOS Sierra system. We will see if someone from tech/QA can check this. Thanks for reporting it.
If anyone else is also seeing the same issue on Sierra please let us know.

@MEB

After further investigation the problem occurs if I use the colour from the Gradient panel from the context toolbar.

Original ...

111004244_ScreenShot2020-08-15at7_22_13AM.thumb.png.bc2267a546febf0ea935e8282dd8fa8a.png

Editing ...

1856439835_ScreenShot2020-08-15at7_22_50AM.png.bfb27d1ab9264425dac779c19e11ac8e.png

If I use the Colour panel from the Studio menu then I can change the noise while selecting the nodes on the gradient tool.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

• 5 weeks later...

This was a problem in All the applications. I am happy to. say that it is fixed in the latest (Mac) beta for Photo 1.9.0.196 . No Designer or Publisher betas yet.

• 3 months later...

Have only just discovered this, using Designer 1.8.6 on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7, not had the need for it for a few months.

Can find no palette or option that makes this function correctly. It's one of the great features for making illustrations feel more tactile and less classic vector.

Please fix this ASAP. Shouldn't be too complicated as you have identified it as a regression to previous code error and this was working really well previously. Hoping I don't need to update some of the images that have employed this in the past any time soon.

There is no work around, the function no longer works in Designer, Photo or Publisher.

Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB RAM running Sonoma 14.2.1
ASUS ProArt screen and Hewlett Packard HD second screen. 
Affinity Suite 2.4.0 and Beta releases

• 5 weeks later...

Hopeful that v1.9 would bring this apparently already fixed in Beta repair to something that had separated the app from the dreaded AI, I downloaded to find nothing had changed… until I pasted in a textured grad from an old illustration. And now works… weird. May help if yours doesn't work straight off!

In addition something odd has happened to my sample pipette (tools and colour window) and text layer icons (layer menu)… they seem to have shrunk. Not the end of the world, but a bit odd.
471773457_Screenshot2021-02-04at17_39_13.png.a8324b676234fab2bd20f116f226c395.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello. I'm also having the same issue.

Have had Designer from (from Affinity website, 90-day demo version initially) v1.9.1, recently updated to v1.9.2. 

Issue still persists (it's not a deal-breaker for me, just when trying stuff out found it wasn't working.)

• Running Mac OS Big Sur, 11.0.1
  • on MacBook 12" Early 2015

Screenshot 2021-03-31 at 15.01.01.png

On 3/31/2021 at 3:04 PM, OllyH said:

Hello. I'm also having the same issue.

Have had Designer from (from Affinity website, 90-day demo version initially) v1.9.1, recently updated to v1.9.2. 

Issue still persists (it's not a deal-breaker for me, just when trying stuff out found it wasn't working.)

• Running Mac OS Big Sur, 11.0.1
  • on MacBook 12" Early 2015

OK, this seems to be solved, having downloaded a file that had the Gradient Noise already used in it. Now the feature works even after closing the document and Designer, then re-opening. Very weird, but seems in line with the experience a few posts back. Seems to be reproducible at least.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Functionality is gone after a second load of the app. Very strange.

Edited by OllyH
Small update

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2021 at 3:51 PM, OllyH said:

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Functionality is gone after a second load of the app. Very strange.

Why has this still not been properly addressed?

If I paste in a noisy grad from an old file I can use and copy, but no edits to noise "stick". Adding a new colour into a grad is also a killer to the pasted grad and cannot have noise adjusted or added. I thought as previously mentioned that it had fixed itself, but this isn't the case and it seems to be more persistent than ever.

• 6 months later...

I used this feature successfully on last year's Christmas card, but as I'm designing this one (2021) with Publisher version 1.10.4, I can't get any gradient noise to stick. I use the slider and see no effect. once I exit the gradient color picker and go back to it, the noise slider is back to zero. I copy/pasted an element with noise from my old document and the noise displayed, but wouldn't stay if I changed the color. Is this a bug yet again?