You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

i've opened a jpg picture in AffinityPhoto an 90% of the Image is transparent. When I open it in Finder or OSX Preview the Image looks normal.

In the Layer-section Affinity shows a pixel-layer with Curves an some of the little previews (with the content not displayed) are stricked out.

The colorspace of the Image is sRGB (and in AffinityPhoto too).

Version 1.8.3 and newest OSX.

Thanks a lot

Codeneuss

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @codeneuess. :)

The JPEG format doesn’t support transparency, so your file can’t be an ordinary JPEG! Are you able to share the file here?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks a lot! 
Unfortunally I can't share the picture. But I'm shure it's in a JPEG-Format. I opened it in OSX-Preview and exported it as JPEG (it was also in JPEG-format before). Than I exported it as PNG and now AffinityPhoto can display the picture.

It's not the same tranparency as in png or gif-files. It looks more like AffinityPhoto can't render some parts of the picture and without the Option "transparent background" in the view menu it shows white background.

@codeneuess
Loooong ago, (before MacOS-X) Apple-Computers did not use the file-extension (xxx.gif) to identify a filetype but used hidden codes (type & creator).
Because of that, you could rename a JPG-File to  e.g. "test.doc" and it still was recognised as a JPEG-Image file.

How did you know, that the original-File was a JPEG? Because of its extension?

I am asking, because more than once I have met users who thought that naming the file during "save as" to xxx.JPG will automatically save it as JPEG.
Or even worse: (on Windows) changed the extension from e.g. .PSD  to .PDF and expected the file to be automatically converted to a PDF-File.
just in case you received the original "JPG"-file from a 3rd party...

To make sure, what a file really is, try to open it in a TEXT-Editor*:

the very first Bytes of a GIF will look like this: 

image.png.8dc929bedc63684c08850c97da805ae6.png

a JPEG-File will look like this:
image.png.40acad74d51c2b3f3d01258b23d9cc86.png

a PNG like this:

image.png.0744497422e82e18025ad5ac2d44f5d3.png

a PDF:

image.png.a8fe45ebc297205ea78d99ce25f20c32.png

a TIFF:

image.png.93492d62c827129e987f65a50e2eb81e.png

a PSD (Photoshop)-File , created by Affinity Photo:

image.png.d42da16b6453dce926635f34c4354582.png

*On Windows I recommend "Notepad++":  https://notepad-plus-plus.org/
For MacOS a Google-search offers this:  https://macromates.com/  (?)

First of all, thank you.

Second, you couldn't know but I'm a Developer knowing the difference between a jpeg and a gif. The Stream look exactly like your example (with different chars of course).
Next to the jpg-stream I see some metadata from exif and photoshop. The Image was exported from Photohshop cc 2019.

• Staff

Thanks for the info @codeneuess - could you please provide a copy of the file to the following link for me, then let me know once this has been completed?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/CTkXavFRV54lIkZZVe49

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

4 hours ago, codeneuess said:

i've opened a jpg picture in AffinityPhoto an 90% of the Image is transparent. When I open it in Finder or OSX Preview the Image looks normal.

In the Layer-section Affinity shows a pixel-layer with Curves an some of the little previews (with the content not displayed) are stricked out.

From the description, it sounds like the JPG image has a clipping path:

When you open the image in software that recognises the clipping path (like Affinity Photo), then you see the transparency.  

When you open the image in software that doesn't recognise the clipping path (like an image viewer), it ignores the clipping path and displays the whole image.

Example (zip file):
001 (Contains clipping path).zip

To export the image without a clipping path:  In the JPG export settings, click the 'More' button, then untick 'Convert clips to paths'.

002.png.e9d0d05e0e5330e2c2dca3254e7db835.png

5 hours ago, - S - said:

From the description, it sounds like the JPG image has a clipping path:

When you open the image in software that recognises the clipping path (like Affinity Photo), then you see the transparency.  

When you open the image in software that doesn't recognise the clipping path (like an image viewer), it ignores the clipping path and displays the whole image.

Thank you. I’d forgotten about that possibility! (I’m afraid I’m all out of ‘Likes’ at the moment.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)