You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File size optimization

When I place full resolution photos in files they can be quite large even though I've scaled those images down quite a bit. For example, I just designed a landing page and the layered file is 150MB. It would be great if there was an option to optimize files so that you could choose how many times larger than the displayed size the layered images within should be. For example, if I intend to export for 2X retina, I may want to compress all images to a max of 2X their displayed size/resolution in the native file. Now suddenly what was a 150MB file is a fraction of that size. Or, if I want to retain some flexibility but still reduce file size quite a bit I may choose 4X of their displayed size/resolution. Would be great if this could be done in batches of files too for archiving older work at a lower file size without losing the ability to revisit it. This would make it far easier for me to both share work with developers and to save disk space.

Hi @jhdesigns, welcome to the forums!

Make sure the document DPI is set appropriately then rasterize the image layer, turning it into a pixel layer.  That should cause excess resolution beyond what is needed to maintain the set DPI to be discarded, as long as you are not saving with history (in which case it would need to be kept to enable undo).

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the solution. That is a pretty manual process and I'm not sure it accounts for 2X or better output of individual images in the future for retina displays? I could make the whole document double resolution but then there would be some images I'd want to export at half resolution in which I believe would be a manual process of copying and pasting into a new file and exporting at half its actual size. That would also increase the file size of the build. This is really about optimizing the entire file once I'm done building, so it would basically go in and rasterize all bitmaps to 2X, 4X, or whatever I set it to.

I would deal with that at export time rather than within the document.

Make the document the maximum resolution it may need to be, then in the Export persona, go to the Slices tab and expand the "background" slice that is provided by default.  From there you can add multiple output targets, giving each a different filename and resolution.  Once you have them set up you can then export them all at once.