You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text size changing when flowing between frames

I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on here, but I'm asking in the hope I'm missing something obvious before calling it a bug.

I'm finding that text changes size when it overflows into a new frame. As in, I have a frame on page one filled with text of the style 'body' which is defined at size 10. If I click the flow button on the frame and then click an empty frame on page two, all the text in that frame appears in size 7.650392. If I cmd+A to select all the text across both frames and reapply the style with Apply to Paragraphs and Clear Character Styles, nothing changes, and the text in the second frame stays at 7.650392. If I resize all the text, say by selecting all and changing up to 24 from the toolbar, the text in the second frame still comes out the same percentage smaller - in that case 18.360941. If I insert more text into frame one, the size change still occurs at the start of frame two, regardless of what formatting is applied to the text.

If, instead of clicking on an empty frame, I click the flow button and then draw a new frame on page two, the same thing happens. Thankfully I have just discovered that if I option-click for autoflow, so that Publisher draws the frame itself, the text size stays consistent. So I'm able to carry on working. It would be good to know what's going on though, so I don't have to delete, recreate, and manually reposition every frame.

This problem is caused by the inadvertent resizing of one of the text frames using the outer ( at the lower right corner) resize handle. You will have to delete the frame(s) and reflow the text into new frames.

841129061_ScreenShot2020-08-13at6_47_43AM.png.7b441799b58bb1586685b432aedb7c88.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 minutes ago, somnolentsurfer said:

What's that other handle meant to be for then?

Changing the size of the text frame and the size of the text. Say you have a text frame with a fill colour and you need it larger and you want the text to fill the width and height. It is of limited use but it does have uses, quicker than changing the size of the frame then selecting the text and fiddling with the point size.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 3 years later...