You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font color selection

I started searching for this issue, but there were too many results to find if this was already reported / asked.  I did ask and the community suggested I open a ticket about it.

I did this:
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+N for a new image from clipboard  >  Select Frame Text Tool  >  Select a color from the Font Color palette from the ribbon.

With the new image still "selected" (from the New action), clicking the Font Color on the ribbon appears to change the Channel color (or overlay color, or something [I'm sorry, I'm not sure what to call it]), not the Font Color in preparation of typing text.

Clicking off / unselecting the image, the color change does not happen.  It only happens if the image is left selected from the New action.  But I would think that clicking the Font Color button wouldn't effect the entire image like that.  It appears something is awry as selecting the Font color should not have this result on the whole image (IMO).

If you check the Layers panel I'll bet it says (Image) and is selected
Then when you click on a colour a fill will be applied to it
Easiest way is probably press V and click away from the image to deselect the layer
Otherwise right click the layer and choose Rasterise
You'll find a similar behaviour with placed images
I consider it an idiosyncrasy rather than a bug!

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

David, I stated in my original post "Clicking off / unselecting the image, the color change does not happen."  So thank you for the feedback, but I am aware of that.

The point of my report was that after selecting a TEXT TOOL, if I change the color, it should apply to the TEXT TOOL, not to the entire image.

When I posted about this in the Community Forum, it was suggested that I report it as a bug - so I did.

Yes, I saw that but any colour change without creating a new object will have the same effect. If you click on a shape then change colour without creating the shape the new colour fill will be applied to the selected Image Layer. Same thing with the Pen. It'll be interesting to read Serif's feedback

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

• Staff

Hey sdm1177,

I think this is correct. You selected the Frame Text Tool but did not place another object to be selected. Photo looks at the currently selected object, in this case, the Image Layer and it changes its colour from the colour swatch. You can change the colour of different objects from different places.

If you typed some text first, that layer would be selected and its colour would change—not the original Image Layer.

I will however double check this. 

I have noticed that Windows flashes the slider on RGB sliders and they remain to the far-left so that's a bug.