You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inverted commas or quotation marks

Before Publisher 1.8.4, inverted commas or quotation marks were the 'curly' type, and now they are straight. For double inverted commas you have to use (alt + ") on your keyboard to open quote, and then (alt + cap arrow + ") to close quote. However, for the single quotation mark it's always straight.

I know this isn't a major problem, but with previous versions (until recently I used 1.7.3) I didn't have this problem. 

This same question was asked last year, and nobody from Affinity has yet given an answer. Why did it work fine before, and doesn't work anymore since 1.8? Is there any way of doing this? I publish a magazine, and having to change this one at a time is daunting. Can anyone from Affinity reply, please?

Have you checked your Auto-Correct Preferences in Publisher to make sure they're still set correctly?

image.png.3ce3abf3c1b7f257959681296f870b2d.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, that was it! I upgraded recently from 1.7.3 to 1.8.4 and it changed everything, even the language. I had it set to UK English as a norm, and when upgrading it didn't recongnise the UK English and kept changing all the spelling over to US English. I had to change everything back to English UK in Character Language (before it was all set automatically to UK English, and you had to change it if you wanted to use another language). Anyway, it works now! Many thanks! Case closed!

1 hour ago, Nebulosa said:

before it was all set automatically to UK English, and you had to change it if you wanted to use another language

Glad to have helped :)

For the default language: it should be set from the User Interface language in your Preferences (General tab?). Perhaps that got reset, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1