You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo Freezes on opening Photoshop Document and/or nothing can be selected for use

When opening documents of PSD file, more or less containing artboards and smartobjects of the new photohsop 2020 occasionally, the program freezes and nothing can be selected on any panel, only able to save the document and then after using task manager have to close the program and start again, which again works for a while and after a while again the whole program freezes. Using default settings in Affinity photo in windows 10 latest update 2004, using NVIDIA Graphics 660M, switched to intel graphics HD 4000 which co-operated for a while longer, then had to face it up again.

Also to mention the program froze when dealing with affinity design document. Perhaps the freeze is not relative to just photoshop documents. Attaching the file that froze the program while i was working today. This isnt just the photoshop doc as it happens i havent opened a photoshop doc yet. and there is a complete program freeze. Wasnt able to click anywhere in the program. was able to save the file though pressing Ctrl+S.

Coming Soon.afdesign Mahabachat_2_days.platform.psd

• Staff

Hi Tufail117,

If you were able to Ctrl+S to save the document but unable to interact with it generally, it suggests the app hasn't frozen but something else is getting in the way. 

When the app freezes, you can usually access Task Manager and right-click the Affinity icon and create a dump file which can be sent to us (attached here). 

I've just had a play with your file and it was fine. I tried toggling the 'Import PSD Smart Objects where possible' in Preferences > General as well.

The Complete Detail on the encounter of Freeze that occured again along with attachment of Dump file and Video:

Computer Software details:

• Windows 10 Latest as of Date
  • In NVIDIA 610M Driver and Intel 4000HD Graphics
  • Affinity Photo on default Setting except for the memory thresholds and Shortcuts

Hardware Detail

• Using Wacom Bamboo or Artist 12 by XP-Pen
  • Dial and Touch not enabled in Settings of Aff.Photo
  • Dell Inspiron 3420

Further Details on the Attachment

What i noticed has occured was that affinity photo was loosing focus, because of use of Bamboo or Artist Pen, The clicks of mouse was completely ignored after even if i tried nothing on the screen worked as shown in video. it regained focus in artist 12 after i reworked with my pen, not with my mouse, however this wasnt the case with bamboo, so the program is loosing focus more than freezing which makes sense as i can save file and only have limited control on click, the focus however didnot comeback when using the bamboo part other than xp. Sending you the video and Dump files of windows for analysis along with hardware details if it helps. On a side note, Is enabling dialpad and touch for gesture necessary in order to work with drawing tablets.

Photo.7z

DESKTOP-FOBF24U.txt

Edited by Tufail117
Small Changes on Hardware and upload hardware details