You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Automatically Hide Extensions not working

AdamB

Automatically Hide Extensions setting in Preferences has no affect on the filename extension when exporting.  Unable to hide the extension.

1. Version 1.8.4 downloaded from Mac App Store
  2. Reproducible
  3. Happens on all documents, new and used with Affinity Designer 1.8.4 but functions as expected with Affinity Photo 1.8.4
  4. If you cannot provide a sample document then please give an accurate description of the problem for example it should include most of the following:
  •    Mojave 10.14.6
  •    Since the 1.8.4 upgrade, 'Automatically Hide Extensions' has failed to hide the filename extension (.png, .jpg, .pdf, etc) on export
  • Recipie

• Set Finder Preferences > Advanced > Show all filename extensions is disabled.  I've tried multiple combinations of:

• Disable "Automatically Hide Extensions"

• No change....extensions still show

• Restart Affinity

• Enable "Automatically Hide Extensions"

• Restart Affinity

• Enable Finder Preferences > Advanced > Show all filename extensions

• Reboot

• Disable Finder Preferences > Advanced > Show all filename extensions

• Start Affinity 

• Check Affinity Photo - Hide Extensions functions as expected
  •    The only thing that changed around the same time as the 1.8.4 upgrade was that I installed Google FileStream

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 4.55.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 9.53.15 PM.png

• Staff

Hi AdamB,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
That setting only affects the Affinity native file formats. If you export to other file formats we always add the extension. This is working correctly for me in both Affinity Designer and Photo. Can you please re-check on your system if it's working as described? Are you getting a different behaviour?

Note that for files that already have the hidden extension attribute set in Finder we do honor it when you save (overwrite) the files.

Hello MEB,

I am getting different behavior. 

Affinity Photo is working as expected for me.  When exporting, the extension is hidden.  This allows me to quickly add a suffix without having to work around the extension.

Affinity Designer no longer behaves this way since the 1.8.4 update.  When exporting, the extension is not hidden despite having Automatically Hide Extension checked in preferences.  

See attached screenshots from Photo and Designer.

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 11.52.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 11.52.38 AM.png

• Staff

Hi AdamB,
I thought you were talking about the extensions in Finder not in the Save/Export dialogs. The extension shouldn't appear in the Save dialog in Affinity apps no matter the setting in the Affinity Preferences (that's for hiding or showing the file extension in Finder). I've replicated the issue you are experiencing, forcing the extension to appear in the save/export dialogs and i'm logging it to be looked at. To fix it, press and hold ctrl while starting Designer until a Clear User Data dialog appears, keep the first three checkboxes ticked only then press Clear. Try saving/exporting a document in Affinity Designer again. Does the extension still appears there?

Hi MEB,

Thank you for the explanation regarding the actual function of the Automatically Hide Extensions options. 

Following the instructions you provided resolved the issue.  I am now able to export and the file extension does not appear.  Thank you for your help on this.