You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

21 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi 21Pilots,
We are already aware of a few issues with boolean operations and text - we hope to improve these with time. Do you mind attaching the .afdesign file with the Joey work please (already converted in curves)?

How can there be problems with something like this? The capability must have been there from the start surely? 

• Staff

Hi 21Pilots,
Select all letters from the Joey word, press and hold alt and click the Add button to join them. This will create a compound (check the Layers panel and expand it if you want to access/see the individual letters). With the compound layer selected press cmd+Enter to convert the compound to curves and you will get an accurate (destructive) result (or keep the compound as is if you want to keep the individual elements editable). We have made changes to the boolean operation and expand stroke code recently to improve them/make them more accurate. Unfortunately there's still a few issues to fix/fine tune, sorry. When in trouble use the compound as a way to get the (correct) result you are aiming for.

On 8/12/2020 at 12:16 PM, MEB said:

When in trouble use the compound as a way to get the (correct) result you are aiming for.

Unfortunately it doesn't work in all cases. That turnaround doesn't work with the Divide button at all:

And I guess there is not another turnaround available for dividing shapes in Affinity, so you just have to go to another software to make something that straightforward.

Actually using Alt + Divide have the exact same effect as using Alt + Xor. I guess the Divide button should not have the option to create a compound...

• Staff

Hi PixelPest,
There's quite a few factors that may interfere here (transforms/position/scale etc). I don't know what you are doing exactly but assuming you are simply adding the shapes in the group it also fails for me if i don't do anything else in v1.8.3. See animated gif below:

boolean_failling.gif

1 hour ago, PixelPest said:

Here it goes this way with 1.8.3:

You appear to be working in a different document than the one posted by @21Pilots which was used by @MEB.

The Boolean result differs depending on the size, measured in pixels, of the objects.

If the objects in @21Pilot's file are shrunk by about 50%, or if the DPI is changed so that the objects remain the same size in millimetres but cover fewer pixels, then the same Boolean result can be achieved as you got.

(Many behaviours of the Affinity apps suggest that pixel is the internal unit of measure, and "document units" is only for displaying sizes in the user interface.)

3 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

When you think that matters:

Same procedure applied.

TextBooleanAdd2.gif.331da7d2c227a1ad8957736687eca811.gif

That's not an apples to apples comparison. You are creating a new group of green objects from text, and working with that instead of the already existing group of magenta objects that @MEB worked with.

• Staff
1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi PixelPest,
There's quite a few factors that may interfere here (transforms/position/scale etc). I don't know what you are doing exactly but assuming you are simply adding the shapes in the group it also fails for me if i don't do anything else in v1.8.3. See animated gif below:

Hi PixelPest,
As i said above a different position/scale etc may affect the results of the boolean operation. Try with the original objects from that file.

It's an interesting file. Yes the group of magenta letter/shapes fail to add.
BUT:
The group of magenta letter/shapes was clearly made from converting the green text below.

So if you start there (as @PixelPest shows) in the same file, same size, same dpi same everything, Convert to Curves > Add does work. As does the direct route of going straight from text to Add. (except for the fill mode of course)

So is the original issue a one time glitch? (or even stranger, a two time glitch??  ..... Artboard2 too)

🤔

Edited by JimmyJack
fer mi rediculous spellingg