You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I was just wondering does AD and AP need to run on a specific resolution? My PC is running 1920x1080 165Hz in a repeating pattern using Symbols I get white lines in my project, but when I export the project the white lines disappear. How do I fix this, so I'm not freaked out thinking I messed something up in my project?

Exported_Project.png

Inside Affinity Designer I see this.

Capture.PNG

• Staff

Hi crayons,
Set the document units to pixels temporarily, and check the X,Y coordinates for the symbol's layers in the Transform panel. Are they integer values? You may have to go to Affinity Preferences, User Interface tab, Decimal Places for Unit Types section and change the Pixels value to 2 or more so you can see more decimal places in the Transform panel (and elsewhere), then delete the decimal parts in the X, Y coordinates fields. If the layers/symbols are properly pixel aligned (integer values) these lines shouldn't appear at 100%, 200% zoom levels etc (still may appear at arbitrary zoom levels).

• Staff

Hi crayons,
All symbols are correctly aligned and the lines do disappear at 100%, 200% zoom etc for me. At arbitrary zoom values they will appear/vary depending on the zoom level due to the way we render things on screen (i agree it can be a bit disconcerting in particular on this file where the symbols are all black and the background it white). The only thing i can suggest is to put a black rectangle on the bottom of the layer's stack in the artboard 2.
Have you checked the file at 100% zoom - does the lines appear for you when the zoom level is set to 100%?

• Staff

The background colour suggestion was to help disguise the lines when possible/applicable (in the case of the black symbols). In the case above set the background to the same green as the symbols. If it's different from the symbols themselves (contrasty) then you will still see the lines at arbitrary zoom levels. I've just checked your file on a Windows 10 system (1920x1080) and the file does display correctly at for me 100%, 200% etc (no lines). At arbitrary zoom levels (126% for example) it does display the lines but that's expected and a side effect of the ender engine. You are not the first user reporting these issues but changes/improvements here are complex and may take a while (if possible).

9 minutes ago, MEB said:

At arbitrary zoom levels (126% for example) it does display the lines but that's expected and a side effect of the ender engine.

The top photo in my last post was at 100% zoom. View > Zoom > 100%, I select each one up to 800%

Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti

Edited by crayons
my system

• Staff

Hi crayons,
Can you attach the file shown in your last screenshot please? I'm still convinced this is side effect of the rendering engine. I'm a bit perplexed you are seeing these lines at 100%. If you press CTRL+1 (to set the zoom to 100% as well) do you still see them? Maybe i'm missing something here, unfortunately i don't have another Windows system available to try to replicate this. Thanks.

2 hours ago, crayons said:

The top photo in my last post was at 100% zoom. View > Zoom > 100%, I select each one up to 800%

In Designer and Publisher, 100% zoom when document units is physical (such as inches) is a different scaling of the view than when document units is pixels.

Either switch units to pixels and then try 100%, or use Zoom > Pixel Size (ctrl+9) with any document units.

(Mac users with Retina screens will find that using Metal results in Zoom > Pixel Size incorrectly producing 200% of pixel size, whereas using OpenGL correctly produces 100% of pixel size.)

• Staff

Hi @crayons,
Did you set the document units to pixels temporarily to check this? If you are still checking the document with the units set to inches when you set the zoom to 100% then you will still see the lines. If that's the case changing to pixels and checking at 100%zoom (or 200% etc) should fix the issue or as @anon2 suggested above go to menu View > Zoom > Pixel Size if you still have the document set to inches. Can you confirm that was the case please?

21 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi @crayons,
I advised to set the document to pixels temporarily to check this. If you are still checking the document with the units set to inches when you set the zoom to 100% then you will still see the lines. If that's the case changing to pixels and checking at 100%zoom (or 200% etc) should fix the issue or as @anon2 suggested above go to menu View > Zoom > Pixel Size if you still have the document set to inches. Can you confirm that was the case please?

Okay thank you for your time, Be Safe and Have a Great Day, Bye for now.