You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Segmentation Fault Crash on Auto Flow Text Box edit

Kinakuta

My Affinity Publisher suddenly crashes since updating to v1.8.4 with a Segmentation Fault when I click on an auto flow text box to put text in (crash log is attached).

I tried adjusting the performance settings and changing from OpenGL to Metal or even Software, but that didn't help.

Is there any way I can downgrade to 1.8.3 where the bug / crash didn't happen or participate in a beta programm? I need to finish a client project and have no way of fixing this. I purchased the program on the app store, so I can't install the previous versions from the affinity store.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: Now I can't even save the file anymore, even "Save as..." crashes the program! I'm on MacOS 10.15.6

Crash Log.txt

Edited by Kinakuta
More crashes

Hi @Kinakuta

I'm sorry to hear you are having this issue while you have a busy workload. I know that can be very stressful.

Would you be able to try this?:

• Go to Macintosh HD\Users\username\Library\Containers\
  • Rename the 'com.seriflabs.affinityPublisher' folder to 'com.seriflabs.affinityPublisher.old'
  • Start Publisher
  • This will have reset all of your settings so please note all of your assets, brushes, etc will not be there. Currently these are stored in the renamed folder so we can look at getting them back if this works for you.
  • If Publisher is fine now, could you zip up and attach a copy of the 'com.seriflabs.affinityPublisher.old' folder please?

The only way to roll-back would be to use a Time Machine back-up that included the previous version.

Hi, 

thanks for the help. Unfortunately, it didn't help. 

I also opened the file on a different machine with a fresh install of 1.8.4 and it also crashed. Then I installed 1.8.3 as a trial and it also crashed.
But I was able to save the file again by going to a previous version and retracing the steps and changes I made.

I found two possible reasons for the crashes:

1. I had a lot of embedded pictures and after I changed them to linked assets it didn't crash on save

2. I have a lot of auto flow boxes (it's a daily planner for 2021), some of them with a lot of text. After I removed some of them and reduced the text, it would crash less often.

Still, I get a lot of crashes in connection with auto flow boxes, which I love and use often, so I hope you can find a fix for it in the next version or even a beta. It's difficult to work like this, I would very much prefer an error message to a crash of the program.

• 7 months later...

Hi there,

I have a similar crash problem with text flow in Publisher 1.9.2

I've created 4 text boxes on an A4 page and when I click the triangle/arrow to link first box to the second, publisher immediately crashes when clicking on second box. 

The crash has repeated 4 times, even after a computer restart.

I did eventually find that the crash only occurred when the text box contained text, if the box is empty then no crash occurs.

• 1 year later...