You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo's Tone Map is awesome good and I use it on each of my landscape images. - It has only one thing to be complained, and that's the noise introduction.

If possible, it would be very welcome if that could be reduced in future versions. Thanks in advance!

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

13 hours ago, Roland Rick said:

Affinity Photo's Tone Map is awesome good and I use it on each of my landscape images. - It has only one thing to be complained, and that's the noise introduction.

If possible, it would be very welcome if that could be reduced in future versions. Thanks in advance!

Is it introducing noise of accentuating noise that is already there? If it's accentuating noise that's already there, that's to be expected. Increased local contrast at high spatial frequencies tends to do that, I don't think there's any way around it. However, if it is actually creating noise that wasn't there before, then that's a problem.

Maybe you could give an example of what you mean, show a before and after.

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2020 at 12:01 AM, HuniSenpai said:

Is it introducing noise of accentuating noise that is already there? If it's accentuating noise that's already there, that's to be expected. Increased local contrast at high spatial frequencies tends to do that, I don't think there's any way around it. However, if it is actually creating noise that wasn't there before, then that's a problem.

Maybe you could give an example of what you mean, show a before and after.

Well, there is always a little bit noise. Do I understand you correct? You're suggesting first denoise, then use Tone Map Personna?

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

• Staff
On 8/12/2020 at 9:06 AM, Roland Rick said:

Hey @Roland Rick, it's worth asking whether you are applying tone mapping following on from an HDR merge, or whether you're just applying it to single exposure images? A resultant HDR merge will typically be much cleaner (as it's equalising then merging exposures based on the most detailed pixel information), I'd be surprised if you were getting very noisy results from a bracketed set of images.

If you're tone mapping using single images it would make more sense that local contrast especially would bring out noise. If that's the case, have you tried the Clarity filter instead? It's not quite the same effect, but might be suitable for your requirements. You can use the destructive version (Filters>Sharpen>Clarity) which will let you apply it quite aggressively, or you can use it non-destructively (Layer>New Live Filter Layer>Sharpen>Clarity) which will apply it dynamically at the expense of overall strength (the effect will be less aggressive).

You may notice on the HDR Merge dialog there's an option for noise reduction–this is typically recommended when merging RAW images, so perhaps ensure this is enabled if that's what you are doing. With JPEGs however, there's typically some in-camera noise reduction that has already been applied, so I would avoid applying more noise reduction (although every camera is different, so always try for yourself!).

Hope that helps.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

8 minutes ago, James Ritson said:

Hey @Roland Rick, it's worth asking whether you are applying tone mapping following on from an HDR merge, or whether you're just applying it to single exposure images? A resultant HDR merge will typically be much cleaner (as it's equalising then merging exposures based on the most detailed pixel information), I'd be surprised if you were getting very noisy results from a bracketed set of images.

If you're tone mapping using single images it would make more sense that local contrast especially would bring out noise. If that's the case, have you tried the Clarity filter instead? It's not quite the same effect, but might be suitable for your requirements. You can use the destructive version (Filters>Sharpen>Clarity) which will let you apply it quite aggressively, or you can use it non-destructively (Layer>New Live Filter Layer>Sharpen>Clarity) which will apply it dynamically at the expense of overall strength (the effect will be less aggressive).

You may notice on the HDR Merge dialog there's an option for noise reduction–this is typically recommended when merging RAW images, so perhaps ensure this is enabled if that's what you are doing. With JPEGs however, there's typically some in-camera noise reduction that has already been applied, so I would avoid applying more noise reduction (although every camera is different, so always try for yourself!).

Hope that helps.

Hey, @James Ritson, so many thanks for reply and all your hints, everything helps. To answer our question: I'm applying it to a single exposure. However, the Noise Reduction life filer has yet always solved the problem. A little bit sharpness is lost, but you aware this only at 200% magnification pixel peeping level. However, I wished I could make the Topas Denoise AI as Filter Plugin running. I tried everything I found in the net, but nothing helped. I must confess, most solutions I found were Windows related, I am on Catalina.

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography