You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Replacing rasterised images

Normally there is no Replace-button for images that are rasterised, which would be helpful. But I thought I could work-around by moving the rasterised image into a picture frame of the same size. By doing so and clicking the picture frame the Replace-button is back. If you are now "replacing" the image, the image is put underneath the rasterised image and not replacing it. No problem with this, because this was intended?!?

My problem / bug is the wording:

A) "Replace image" is wrong in general, because you can add other files than images to a picture frame.

B) As I see it, "Replace image" is not replacing, but adding something (called it "something" to avoid the word "image").

C) Related to B): When you place an empty picture frame ... as a sidenote why is it called a picture frame, when the button is called "Replace image", it should be then "Replace picture"? ... there is literally nothing to replace, but to add.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

On 8/12/2020 at 2:58 AM, Joachim_L said:

Normally there is no Replace-button for images that are rasterised

The "rasterize" command works with the selected layer and includes its child layers.  The image in a picture frame is a child layer of the frame (you can see the actual image layer inside of the frame by expanding the picture frame layer in the Layers panel).

If you rasterize the picture frame, this converts the entire picture frame to a pixel layer, which obviously will not have a "replace image" capability.

If you instead select the image layer inside the picture frame and rasterize that, then you are left with the pixel layer inside the picture frame, and the picture frame retains its "Replace Image" functionality.

On 8/12/2020 at 2:58 AM, Joachim_L said:

moving the rasterised image into a picture frame

There are three different targets when dragging an image or pixel layer into a picture frame in the Layers panel.  

If you drag over or just to the right of the icon, you create a mask for the picture frame - that results in a crop icon in the lower-right corner of the child layer's icon:

image.png.eb02766f30f68930e3a0aa541144fe74.png

If you drag over the name of the picture frame layer you create a content layer, which is what gets replaced by the "Replace Image" feature - note the picture frame icon in the lower-right corner of the child layer's icon:

image.png.e2e94466a5970d6dac0ea7186785c968.png

If you drag to just below the text, you create a "normal" child layer which is not recognized as the content of the frame - that results in this - note the lack of an icon in the corner:

image.png.a9c5d70d41b71b608d5c5bf64b711ff9.png

For the "Replace Image" feature to actually "replace" the image it needs to be the content layer of the frame.

Otherwise you are replacing the missing content layer of the frame and that child layer is sitting underneath it.