You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I add Ouline to Masked Object

HI,

I have a bunch of black and white patterns and have silouettes and text that I want to mask over these patterns.  I know how to mask, but I can't get an outline around the object.  WHen i go to fx and add outline, it onlu expand the image instead of adding a black stroke.  For example, I have a mandala pattern I created, and I want to maks the letter A over the mandala.  I created the letter A, converted to a curve, added the stroke, but when I mask over the mandala, the outline/stroke it gone.  When I try to increase the stroke size, ti actually increased the stroke size of the mandala.  Could it be because the mandala is in vector format and not a flat image?  

You are right the mask doesn't leave any marks on the drawing.  Instead make a copy of  the mask and position it above the masked image.  Then have the fill be empty and add whatever stroke to the copy.  I believe this is what you are requesting.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

3 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

You are right the mask doesn't leave any marks on the drawing.  Instead make a copy of  the mask and position it above the masked image.  Then have the fill be empty and add whatever stroke to the copy.  I believe this is what you are requesting.

Alternatively, clip the pattern to the ‘A’. When you perform vector masking, the masking object becomes invisible; if you use the letter as a ‘clipview’ object, any applied effects (or a simple stroke) will remain visible.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Alternatively, clip the pattern to the ‘A’. When you perform vector masking, the masking object becomes invisible; if you use the letter as a ‘clipview’ object, any applied effects (or a simple stroke) will remain visible.

Can you explain how to do this?  How do you use it as a "clipview"? 

And on another note, is there a way to export this with the SVG pattern "masked"? When I export it as an SVG, it downloads the entire mandala along with the A instead of the masked A.  I know I can do a PNG, but that defeats the purpose of keeping it a SVG.

6 hours ago, Julie B said:

Can you explain how to do this?  How do you use it as a "clipview"? 

Please see this recent post:

As for your second question

6 hours ago, Julie B said:

And on another note, is there a way to export this with the SVG pattern "masked"? When I export it as an SVG, it downloads the entire mandala along with the A instead of the masked A.  I know I can do a PNG, but that defeats the purpose of keeping it a SVG.

you could try the ‘Intersect’ command, but from your description of what you’re trying to do I suspect it won’t give you the desired result.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)