You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen tool line thickness display - BUG?

So see attached images. Designer on iPad

When I first select the pen tool - whether on opening a file or after using a different tool...

Both places where line thickness is indicated Show it as 0 pt.

0 pt remains on display when I place the first node. (In a way that makes a weird kind of nonsensical logic because I’ve not actually drawn a line yet, I suppose).

add a second node and hey presto, the app shares a secret with me, but only in one of the two places. The secret is the thickness the line is set to.

add a third node and the second place line thickness is ‘shown’ decides to fess up on the secret too.

so I alter the line thickness.. I’ve not diligently examined this. I think it often, but not always, shows the line thickness setting in the studio bar, but the pop-up at the bottom doesn’t until well into drawing.

it then always reverts to being a secret every time I deselect the pen tool... 

so my questions are:

• Is this how it’s supposed to behave?
  • if yes, then Why is the line thickness the pen tool is set to a secret until I start drawing?

(iPad 12.9", 4th gen, ios13)

IMG_0388.PNG

IMG_0389.PNG

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

@ProDesignermine certainly does not show that behaviour, sounds like you are running slow, do you have lots of apps open, if so have you tried closing them all and performing a forced restart? 

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Hello Paul

I've already tried the "shut it down and reboot it" thing - it's the 'go-to'. Rebooting the ipad and the app without any other apps running, it's totally consistent.

iPad Experience

Designer 1.8.4 on 12.9" iPad Pro 4th Gen with 512GB (of which, over 400GB is available). I wouldn't call it slow by any stretch of the imagination - surely this would manifest in other actions? Nothing about the app strikes me as suffering any lag.

Just updated to iOS 13.6.. but was the exact same with the previous 13.5, no change

These are files that are predominantly vector. Only one layer with a pixel ref image. Behaves the exact same in a completely blank file with one vector layer - that's what the screen captures are of.

Desktop Experience

Just been into Designer on the desktop and it behaves the same way.

Select the tool (don't do anything else) and look at the toolbar.. shows no line. In the Studio panel "Appearance", it also shows 0. Then start drawing and suddenly the "Appearance" panel will tell you the thickness of line.

--------------------------------->

>>> This all looks like intended behaviour, a coding omission where the dialogues don't coordinate and/or a usability blindspot...

*** That or there's a setting somewhere in the prefs that's eluding me, though the logic here is weird if it is ***

---------------------------------

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

• 1 year later...