You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand Stroke needs a vector object to work and results in a vector object. So it can't expand pixel brush content, e.g. pixel textures. To expand those you could select them as pixels, apply Grow selection and fill.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Ahh yes, that makes sense. If I'm in Designer (or the Designer persona) in the brushes panel, how can I tell if it's a vector brush? Are any of them vector brushes? I thought I saw a "vector brush" option earlier, but now I don't see it. Are any of them vectors besides those?

Thank you!

If a brush appears with any kind of structure / texture (pressure curve) it will be pixels.
If you double-click a brush in the brushes panel those brushes will show a tab "Texture" or "Sub Brushes", where the pixel content ("bitmap") got assigned.

570773751_brushproperties-texture.jpg.92e8c25707d3f476c72d6f3d09b234b8.jpg

1050995480_brushproperties-subbrush.jpg.d5d9f1fb6777ec735cb400c93f21fab9.jpg

On 8/11/2020 at 3:33 PM, thomaso said:

If a brush appears with any kind of structure / texture (pressure curve) it will be pixels.
If you double-click a brush in the brushes panel those brushes will show a tab "Texture" or "Sub Brushes", where the pixel content ("bitmap") got assigned.

So if I understand: theoretically, a brush like this one oughta be fine, right?
image.png.16b2f6e2ab40b0bcbb5c42063e27119a.png

Because I can not get it to work, currently. (And it's on a vector object.)

(I don't know what you mean by "≠ pressure curve"; if that means that a pressure curve is not a texture and therefore shouldn't a problem, or if a pressure curve can cause problems even on vector brushes... but I got rid of my pressure curves and still no luck.)

12 hours ago, dackquiri said:

So if I understand: theoretically, a brush like this one oughta be fine, right?

Indeed, theoretically, this brush looking like being pure vector, should be able to get expanded. Unfortunately all kinds of texturised brushes are pixels. Still we can't use vector content as brush design property. – There are three types of brushes we can create ...

871380676_brushnewtypes.jpg.d54dbad4aed7a387147e95bf139a3532.jpg

... while only a "Solid Brush" can get expanded. The brush "Acrylic 03" appears to be a "Textured Intensity Brush", see in the lower area of your screenshot the size of this bitmap in pixels: "1680 px".

A pressure curve applied to a vector stroke influences its width, such a stoke can get expanded as outline curve – whereas if an image got placed in the brush property this brush has pixel content and can't get expanded this way:

709421246_brush-solidwpressurecurve.jpg.0ad4f39f21b1395ff29a7622ce944476.jpg