You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

After lots of edits, suddenly can no longer select text

samc

Medium-sized file, about 100 pages (half of a book). As I go through adjusting tracking to take care of widows and orphans and have the pages all end at the same place, making a bunch of little changes, and about half way through it suddenly will no longer let me select text to edit. I have bumped up the available memory and the number of undoable edits, no fix. Does it every time (well, four times) with the file, pretty much no matter what; bunch of edits, then none.  I'm attaching a file that has already had problems, and an earlier, pre-problem version that has had minimal editing. Too bad because otherwise I prefer it to Quark and (goes without saying) InDesign. 

Embracing v2.afpub Embracing v3.afpub

Possibly your experience is related to duplicate text frames covering each other, so for instance having many empty text frames on master pages, auto-named in the Layers Panel as "(Frame Text)". Here I clicked to edit the visible text but indeed did select an empty text frame of the master page named "text" which is placed in the layer hierarchy above the frame I tried to edit:

607859052_editedv3afpubmasterframes.jpg.d4dc4aecd8a369059beb8703edd89595.jpg

You might avoid such occurrence if you delete all unused text frames on the master pages. There also might be unwanted objects you aren't aware of, like this:

909534684_editedv3afpubmastertext.jpg.05ebc4d58bf30622b112749bfd3f405b.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

That's it; overlaid text frames. The problem only appears later in the document, and not on all pages. I suspect that the extra frames are from re-assigning a master page to groups of pages without checking for text frames. 

Thank you!

51 minutes ago, samc said:

I suspect that the extra frames are from re-assigning a master page to groups of pages without checking for text frames. 

Note if you don't drag a master page icon on page icons but use the context menu command instead then you will have options to clear or migrate the existing objects.
Also if you have master text frames and place text on a documents page with drag-creating a new text frame this can result in such duplicates.

And one more hint to make your current layer setting more usable: You can move master page layers on all document pages with a click when you select the related master layer on any page, choose "Edit linked..." and choose from the menu "Layer" > "Arrange" > "Move to Back". This way the master will be behind the text frames which you created on the documented pages individually.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1