You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows 10 - file explorer - .afphoto files missing image thumbnails

I am unable to see image thumbnails specifically for .afphoto files within windows 10 file explorer. 

I have already unchecked "always show icons, never thumbnails" 

and I have deleted my thumbnail cache as per these instructions:

https://www.wikihow.com/Enable-Image-Preview-to-Display-Pictures-in-a-Folder-(Windows-10)#

This issue seems to only occur for affinity files (I really only work with photo). 

Is this a known issue, unfixable, or something specific to my computer I could potentially fix???

Annotation 2020-08-11 185811.png

Look Good, Live Wild, Love Life

- TrYptiX Fashion

The Preview Pane is good when you have a file selected, @David in Яuislip, but it's not particularly helpful when you want to visually scan through a directory looking for a particular file. You'd have to select each file to see the preview.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Very true walt.farrell but we all work in our individual ways. Having clicked on one file in Explorer then the rest can be previewed with the down arrow

On a personal note, I have had thumbnails turned off for years and prefer to scan a directory with Irfanview; the thumbnail cache just eats up disc space and I prefer to avoid that

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

@Aad Slingerland Thank You! That was quite helpful, however, it appears on my AF Designer and Photo, that option was preselected :( 

@David in Яuislip  preview pane is nice too! But it got ruined as many of my folders have various encrypted files, clicking an encrypted file attempts to open password box in order to display preview. I am unsure how to disable preview pane for password protected files only....

Maybe I can give Irfanview a try, I used to really like faststone maybe I can give that a try again too. 

Look Good, Live Wild, Love Life

- TrYptiX Fashion

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi ... I am finding this problem as well. It is very time consuming. I get the same issue as the Shaw post from August 2020. I have tried the suggestions above but to no avail. I can't understand what the difference is between images that display image or affinity icon

Have you tried deleting the thumbnail cache, as per "Method 2 - Fixing Corrupted Previews" in this link? 

https://www.wikihow.com/Enable-Image-Preview-to-Display-Pictures-in-a-Folder-(Windows-10)#

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I have had this problem caused by files stored initially on One Drive folders. I tried the Eagle DAM which says it displays Affinity Thumbnails and after a lot of trial and error I found that it relates to Affinity files stored in One Drive on the first save. If I moved the files to a location on the main drive outside of One Drive the icons appeared and stayed when I moved them back to One Drive Location

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

3 hours ago, Stepaan said:

Hold on! This is very well known issue with files synchronized with OneDrive as AlanPickup mentioned before.

CORRECT. This is a long-standing issue that has been known for quite some time. There are couple of workarounds: 

1. Download the XnView MP application. This versatile photo viewer will read AFPHOTO and AFDESIGN files; however, it does not currently recognize AFPUB

2. If you'd rather not use an additional application, you can try this tip. It may not be practical if your OneDrive folder is already rather large, but it's worth a shot if you absolutely need Affinity thumbnails.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 1:16 PM, Ulysses said:

CORRECT. This is a long-standing issue that has been known for quite some time. There are couple of workarounds: 

1. Download the XnView MP application. This versatile photo viewer will read AFPHOTO and AFDESIGN files; however, it does not currently recognize AFPUB

2. If you'd rather not use an additional application, you can try this tip. It may not be practical if your OneDrive folder is already rather large, but it's worth a shot if you absolutely need Affinity thumbnails.

I have same problem but with designer files (probably same would happen with other 2 apps but not used them yet so don't know). All my files are on onedrive. I don't want to risk downloading a strange new app to my new computer. And I had a look at that solution but couldn't follow it but it seems very laborious to the point I would need a spare month every time I wanted to save a file which should take seconds.

1 minute ago, ronanski said:

I have same problem but with designer files (probably same would happen with other 2 apps but not used them yet so don't know). All my files are on onedrive. I don't want to risk downloading a strange new app to my new computer.

For what it's worth, XNView MP is a rather well-known application, has a very small footprint on your computer and its resources, gets the job done rather well, and is extremely simple to use. Worth giving a try. :) 

On 5/18/2021 at 9:20 AM, AlanPickup said:

I have had this problem caused by files stored initially on One Drive folders. I tried the Eagle DAM which says it displays Affinity Thumbnails and after a lot of trial and error I found that it relates to Affinity files stored in One Drive on the first save. If I moved the files to a location on the main drive outside of One Drive the icons appeared and stayed when I moved them back to One Drive Location

I just tried this and the thumbnails and preview appeared outside onedrive but as soon as i moved it to onedrive it vanished again. Am I missing something?