You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I am trying to create a multi page PDF with layers. I am using multiple artboards to create the layout (like in Illustrator), then placing my layers on top of that and exporting as a PDF. This all works fine but when I open the PDF it is all the layers are divided in each page. If I export 3 layers over 4 artboards I get 3 layers for each page, so 12 layers in total. When I do this in illustrator I only get 3 layers across all 4 pages. What am I missing here?

Thanks 

Chris

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 16.03.36.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 16.03.24.png

Export via Export Persona? Export settings? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I went through: File-export for this example. Which gives all art boards in one PDF file, which is what I want. It gives each page its own set of layers in the PDF which is messy rather than layers for the whole document. If I go though the persona and export as slices it creates a new PDF for each art board which again is messy. I need to be able to open the PDF and select the relevant layer and see and print only that layer and no have to go through page by page choosing the relevant layer for each page. 
thank you 

chris

Edited by Cbaumber

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 1:12 PM, Annabella_K said:

I was looking for the same thing in Publisher, but I guess it's the same there ☹️

Since the page structure in APub is someway different to artboards in AD you might try this workflow of @Joachim_L where...

• each PDF page contains its specific layers only
• you can disable a layer kind of globally:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 minute ago, Annabella_K said:

The answer would be global layers.

Though I am not sure what you initially asked for in detail with "the same thing in Publisher", I doubt that a global layers feature in APub would really help in your PDF result: As far I know the technical specification of the PDF format just doesn't know/understand global layers.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 8/11/2020 at 5:04 PM, Cbaumber said:

What am I missing here?

Adobe Illustrator 😊

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

19 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

... I do not know whether Adobe uses some "trick" to group content streams of different pages in one so that they behave globally throughout the document but it could be said the Adobe Acrobat layers do "understand" Adobe-style global layers. 

No. No trick. Just that Adobe applications, QXP--and likely others--can create the same type of, what may being called in this thread, "global layers." Global layers in a pdf are actually termed, Optional Content Groups. These OCGs are global in a pdf in the sense that there is a single listing of OCGs for the document as a whole versus Affinity applications, Xara applications, et al, method of per page layers in a pdf.