You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tolerance troubles

Ran into an unexpected issue on a task I thought was going to be simple. I think this perhaps might be a little bit of an oversight.

Working on a PNG with a transparent background and a shape with an edge that feathers out in opacity, I needed to do a recolouring from red to blue. Was easy enough to dial in roughly the right colour with the recolour adjustment layer and merge it down. However, I needed the surface to be a specific colour (#000096).

So I grab my Flood Fill Tool and drop the tolerance down to 0% only discovered to my surprise that all the pixels with other opacity levels also got filled in with solid colour, losing all the varying opacity levels creating a nasty looking edge. After undoing, I try using Flood Select Tool, again with a tolerance of 0%, only to discover to my surprise that this too does not recognize varying opacity, thus including the pixels I wanted to leave out.

This made what I expected to be a relatively quick fix into a job of deselecting pixel by pixel.
Is there something fundamental I've not understood here? In my head, this should have worked.

Tolerance.jpg

These are my findings which looks similar to yours:

1. Rectangle, red, Gaussian blur, rasterised
2. Copy of 1, recoloured with Flood Fill Tool, perfect
3. Rectangle with gradient, opacity 100% on the right, 0% on the left
4. Copy of 3, rasterised, recoloured with New Adjustment Layer/ Recolour, perfect
5. Copy of 3, rasterised, recoloured with Flood Fill Tool,, rubbish

If you need a specific color like #000096, I can only suggest setting that with the RGB Hex sliders, changing to the wheel and copying those HSL values into the Recolour adjustment dialog

I've attached the .afphoto file for you to explore some more, good luck

Recolouring.png

Recolouring.afphoto

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

4 hours ago, Jaxeed said:

Ran into an unexpected issue on a task I thought was going to be simple. I think this perhaps might be a little bit of an oversight.

It is an oversight by the developers. The issue has come up several times: Flood Fill Tool lacks a "protect alpha" option. A workaround (for the next decade, probably) is to temporarily disable alpha editing in the Channels panel, do the fill and then re-enable alpha editing.

4 hours ago, David in Яuislip said:

Part 2

Forget the Recolour layer
Use a Colour Overlay fx on the layer and you can enter hex values

RecolouringPart2.afphoto 14.83 kB · 0 downloads

NICE! This worked perfectly! Thank you, really do appreciate it. That saved me some headache.

3 hours ago, anon2 said:

It is an oversight by the developers. The issue has come up several times: Flood Fill Tool lacks a "protect alpha" option. A workaround (for the next decade, probably) is to temporarily disable alpha editing in the Channels panel, do the fill and then re-enable alpha editing.

Yea, it does complicate matters a bit. I had no idea how to solve this, so I do appreciate the input.