You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Normally, I would only use the Grid for drawing and I would use Column/Row Guides and the Baseline Grid for page layout and wouldn’t normally try and use the Grid with the Column/Row Guides as it can get way too confusing. (Other people may have a different outlook on this.)
What you need to do may be easy to achieve but we need more information about what you are trying to do.
What sort of publication or document are you working on?
What sort of things do you want in the document?
What do you expect to do with the document once it’s finished?
The more information we have the better we can advise.

Hi Garry, thanks for the reply. 

It's a book for my dad; an autobiography that I'm adding lots of pictures to. Lots of text though and I'm trying to put it all together in different ways. 

It's a double spread 30x30cm book. 

Here are some of the spreads I've been working on. I'm trying to keep it interesting but I've discovered that i need to make sure all my rules are in place (re:spacing) otherwise I end up in a mess (as I did in In Design). 

Screenshot 2020-08-11 at 12.33.27.png

Those spread layouts look okay to me and you won’t need the Grid to make them. (The text seems to come a bit too close to the bottom of the pages for my liking but if that’s what you want then that’s fine.)
From what I can see you may not need to play around with the Baseline Grid too much either, but that depends on how things look when you start putting things onto the pages.
I would suggest making a few master pages with different column/guide layouts on each and applying the relevant master as appropriate. On each master page, create the Column/Row guides for each part-spread layout and you will get them in each page you apply the master page to.
See my basic attached example (image and document). I have used single-page master pages and applied one to each of the sides of the spreads. This way I can mix-and-match layouts as I need them by applying the appropriate master where I need it.
This is just one method, there will be others.

spread-example.afpub

Annotation 2020-08-11 143243.png

Great. Thanks. 

So ignore the grid, basically. 

The margins are already set from the template (which is why my text is so far down). The template is from the Blurb In Design plugin. 

if I do want to move the text further in should I change the margins OR adjust the Column Guides (or perhaps even just put some of my own guides in) and then hide the margin?

Yeah, for page layout purposes just ignore the Grid unless you absolutely have to use it for some reason.

Adjusting the Margins will also adjust the Row/Column Guides accordingly (they are calculated from the margins). However, this means that layers which already exist may need to be manually moved/resized to align with the new layout(s).
However, remember that the Margins and Row/Column Guides and there to help you to layout your pages but they do not force you to do anything, so the examples in my screenshot below are completely valid things to do depending on the circumstances. Use the Guides simply as guides, they are not the ‘layout police’.
One general guideline (pardon the pun) that I try to stick to is: “Only add guides when you need things to line up with each other and keep them to a minimum.” You can create lovely page layouts without using any guides at all. Sometimes the lack of guides helps you to create ‘fresh-looking’ layouts for every page which can help to keep the reader’s interest.

Annotation 2020-08-12 131700.png