You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

different between document palette, system palette and app palette

• 1 year later...

Hi 

I understand the bit about the document. But what is the difference between the application palette and system palette. What's a AP/AD . When I tried using them they felt the same, just shown in different places on the screen.

lastly it also says create palette from document that it goes to three different options what this as it just reacts very similar or really the same to the other?

Hi 

I understand the bit about the document. But what is the difference between the application palette and system palette. What's a AP/AD . When I tried using them they felt the same, just shown in different places on the screen.

lastly it also says create palette from document that it goes to three different options what this as it just reacts very similar or really the same to the other?

System Palette. The operating system maintains a "system palette" for every program that uses palettes, such as Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer etc. If you set that it should appear in any program that allows you to select colours from a palette.

Application means the program you are using now. Such as Affinity Photo and will be available for every document you open, now or in the future in Affinity Photo only.

If you just set a colour as Document, it won't appear if you open a different document, whereas the other palettes will.

AP Affinity Photo

AD Affinity Designer

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 2 months later...

When creating a document palette, I imagine that all those colors are the ones that are applied in the document. but....

1.- Are there too those who WHERE applied in the history of that document?

2.- Can I select the objects by its colors? i mean... if I find several tones of blue or grey (very very similar, look at the image) ... how can I know which color is applied to which element/s?

3.- If I import or copy an element from another file, it doesn't add the colors of that element to the palette. Can that behavior be changed?

These questions are just in order to clean unused colors actually in the document... and changing the colors I don't want any element of the document to have.

Captura 2017-09-12 a las 21.05.33.png

There are two ways provided in the Swatches panel's menu to make new color palettes:

Swatches.png.a9b5e27b065de54026c23d4193bffce4.png

"Add" just creates an empty palette of the indicated type, while (from what I can tell) the 'create from document' choices create a palette populated with the colors currently used in the document -- the 'color history' of the document is not considered. However, if the document has any raster (pixel, etc.) layers, it will include all the colors needed to render it, including those in anti-aliased edges of vectors, text, etc. So for example, for the document I used to make the screenshot above, the 'from document' palette automatically includes all these colors:

palette.png.dcb999e7177add0175e80b75a51f2bc6.png

All but a very few of those browns, pinks, blues, & greys come from the anti-aliased edges of text & the two unfilled rounded red rectangles I added. Note that the bright yellow & green colors in the large round color wells were used to create a filled rectangle, but I deleted that before creating the 'from document' palette & neither color appears in the created palette.

There is currently no way to select objects by color, & as long as creating custom palettes from the colors in the document includes anti-aliased ones, it probably would not be of much use even if there was.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...

I'm converting files to use global colors and am discovering that some of my files have a "Document" palette in the dropdown, and some don't.

What's the difference between the "Document" palette and a named palette created from the document? How do I get the "Document" palette if that's what I need?

I've noticed that both sorts of document palettes are restricted to the one document. Maybe "Document" is just a default name? (Strange that it's sometimes there, sometimes not.)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, jtlapp said:

What's the difference between the "Document" palette and a named palette created from the document?

Nothing, other than one has been named by the user. You can create a document palette either from the "Add Document Palette" menu item, which creates an empty palette you can add colors to, or from the "Create Palette from Document" > "As Document Palette" menu item. Refer to my earlier post above for a screenshot & more details.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 9/12/2017 at 2:34 PM, R C-R said:

There is currently no way to select objects by color,

Especially frustrating in that you could exclusively use named Global colours and still not be able to find anything. Please let me be wrong on that, it would be a step in the right direction.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Nothing, other than one has been named by the user. You can create a document palette either from the "Add Document Palette" menu item, which creates an empty palette you can add colors to, or from the "Create Palette from Document" > "As Document Palette" menu item. Refer to my earlier post above for a screenshot & more details.

Thank you. Yeah, that post is what finally enabled me to create global colors at all. Thanks so much!

• 3 years later...

I've created a system palette from document but know I don't know how to remove it. Does this has to be done via macos (I'm new to mac) or is that a feature of Affinity?

Thx for your help!

Found it!

zVp4m1H.png

Edited by bernha