You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

CORRUPTION - Objects no longer movable; corrupts X, Y, width, height to 10000+

-tw-

Hi Affinity, I'm hitting a pretty breaking bug with just moving objects. Basically the setup is,

1.  I created a symbol from a group (an iPhone status bar, white, groups lots of objects)

2.  I duplicated the group

3.  I detached the group in the Symbol panel

4.  I modified the group (with a black color overlay)

5.  I created a new symbol from the second group

However, now I'm in a breaking state. The bug is:

Repro (after the earlier steps):

1.  Move either the white or black symbol instance. (Alternatively, create a new white or black symbol instance and then move that.)

Result:

1.  Some of the subobjects — always the same three rasterized rectangles — suddenly "disappear" in BOTH the white and black symbol instances (which should not be linked)

2.  Checking the X and Y coordinates of the disappeared layers shows they've been moved to something like 50000px off screen.

I'm attaching a design file where this reproes.

My machine setup:

-  Affinity Designer 1.8.4 (updated from App Store today; reproed before and after update)

-  macOS Mojave 10.14.4 (can't upgrade because I rely on several 32-bit applications that will never be 64-bit)

-  lots of hard disk space and RAM

-  reproes after restarting the machine and with nothing else running

2020-08-10-affinity-designer-insane-move-bug.afdesign

Edited by -tw-

Update: this is a BREAKING BUG. 

I can't figure out how to get out of this state. 

-  I've deleted all symbols

-  I've disabled all layer effects (color overlay)

-  I've tried ungrouping objects

-  I've tried copy/pasting objects into new layers

-  I'm down to just one status bar group

But any time I try to move it, now almost all the pieces not only fly off to never never land (XY coordinates in the 50000s), but their widths and heights also become 30000+.

At this point, the only workaround idea I have isn't a workaround at all, it's to start over and lose my work. 

I'm very disappointed — as a longtime Fireworks user, I was excited to find Affinity Designer offer many similar features that I can't seem to find anywhere else. But I'm terrified that within only a few days of picking up Affinity Designer my design file already seems so corrupted it's unrecoverable. I can't afford to invest more time in Affinity and risk losing more work until this is investigated and fixed. 

• Staff

Hi -tw-,

Apologies that you've encountered this issue. Unfortunately I haven't been able to resolve the issues within your document. I will pass it on to development to be investigated.

I understand the attached document may only be a sample of your full document, so this might not be of use, however have you looked at the contents of the iOS 12 Assets library included in the Assets Panel? There are many pre-made vector iOS UI elements that would scale up better than the pixel versions in your document?