You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo upgrade has made the program unstable and it does not respond

Histogram does not show sometimes in the histogram window when the image has been loaded in the program.  When I do a levels adjustment to the image the histogram does not show in the levels window.  I have to export the image, close the program and then restart the program and then it works again.  When it does work it take up to two minutes to show the histogram.  The program is now running really slow since the latest upgrade to 1.84.693.  I am on Windows 10.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Eric. :)

Do you have the Affinity Store version or the Microsoft Store version of the app? Are you using a graphics tablet?

If you purchased your copy of Affinity Photo from the Affinity Store, you can revert to an earlier version via the link below:

https://store.serif.com/update/windows/photo/1/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

35 minutes ago, Eric Mercer said:

I am using the Affinity Store version

In that case (as I indicated in my previous post) you can revert to version 1.8.3. If you kept the old installer, you won’t even need to use up precious ‘bandwidth’ to download it all over again.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 8/12/2020 at 3:05 PM, Gabe said:

Hi @Eric Mercer,

Welcome to the forums. 

We can't replicate the levels issue here. Can you attach a screen recording of this in action?

I have just added the latest Windows update and the levels seems to be working again, so far so good so I will see if the problem occurs again.  While doing the videos I another slight problem with the crop tool after using the dodge and burn tool.  I tried to apply the crop but it wouldn't do it and had to cancel and retry again.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes that is one of the main problems with the histogram in the Levels Adjustment.  I just go away and make a cup of coffee and then by the time I get back it has appeared.  It was working fine after a Windows upgrade, but it has reoccurred again on a couple of occasions.  This usually happens after I make a levels adjustment.  If I go back into that levels adjustment the histogram sometimes doesn't appear at all.  The solution I have found is to save the file and close it and then reopen it and then it works OK (bit of a pain).    I am using the default colour space SRGB in Affinity.  It seems to be an intermittent fault which no one can pin down (c'es la vie).