You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copying linked text frames across multiple pages

Never had to do this with APu before and had to go an extra mile to achieve what I want.

1. I had a three pages (non-facing) A4 document with text frames linked throughout all pages.

2. The manual was a bit too small on A4 so wanted to combine the three pages in a 50x70 cm landscape document.

3. I copied all page content one by one to the new document.

Result: The complete text was copied three times (for every single A4 page) into the new document. So I had to decide to make new text frames or deleting text.

Wouldn't it be nicer copying all the elements and breaking the text flow per page? This is how it is working in ID (CS6). Simply relinking the frames would be much faster than deleting text out of the frames. Or allowing selections across multiple (non-facing) pages.

Something else I noticed: Imagine 2 pages each having 10 elements. Zoom out a bit, select everything on page 1 with the mouse. Top left in the toolbar you get the information that 10 elements are selected. Now hold the Shift-key and click an element on page 2. Now you get the information that 11 elements are selected? How is that? To my knowledge you cannot select across multiple pages? Now cut / delete the selection. Only the clicked element on page 2 is deleted, but the toolbar is saying now that 10 elements are selected.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

19 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

3. I copied all page content one by one to the new document.

You can do this with 'Document > Add Pages from File'. This adds all pages at the end of the new document and you can rearrange all text frames on the new page without loosing the link between the frames.

Afterwards you delete the imported pages.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

12 minutes ago, dominik said:

You can do this with 'Document > Add Pages from File'.

Of course! Stupid me, it must be the temperature here.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

2 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Result: The complete text was copied three times (for every single A4 page) into the new document.

Wouldn't it have been simpler to simply Ctrl+A in the first frame (which selects the complete story), Copy, and then paste it into the text frame in your target document?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Wouldn't it have been simpler to simply Ctrl+A in the first frame (which selects the complete story), Copy, and then paste it into the text frame in your target document?

Hmm, thank you. Another good way. Solutions whereever you look. ;)

------

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, VJS said:

And this is what I get,

Have you tried a Shift+Click on that red linking triangle on the lower right of the page?

-- Walt
PC:

49 minutes ago, VJS said:

I tried three times and each time it crashed the program. version 1.10.6

Any crash reports generated?

-- Walt
PC:

All three times, and I responded to the first two. Figured the third time would be a waste of time, both mine and theirs. I didn't notice, but I think it just went to Apple. No separate request from Affinity. Does Apple share the info with developers? I always just assumed they did.

36 minutes ago, VJS said:

Does Apple share the info with developers? I always just assumed they did.

I've never been sure if anyone at Serif looks at the dumps that are automatically submitted. Usually, the Serif staff here in the forums seems interested in whether the reports were created, and if so (and they need them) they ask for the user to upload them.

I think that for the purposes of discussing a problem, there's no good way to find one of the automatically submitted reports, and be sure it is related to the forum topic,.

-- Walt
PC: