You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paint brush behaviour changes after Erase brush use

Windows 10 Pro build 1909/APhoto 1.8.4.693/Wacom Intuos Pro

I have experienced a problem with the new release (also present in beta build 681) where the paint brush changes after the erase brush is used.  It happens with Affinity native brushes and purchased ones and it most noticeable when the flow is a low value.  To demonstrate:

1. New document
  2. add pixel layer
  3. select brush with a low flow e.g. Dry media/Triangle crayon
  4. draw a few strokes with the paint brush
  5. use the erase brush (in my setup this is set to one of the Basic series brushes)
  6. draw a few more strokes with the paint brush and see the difference.

The only way I have been able to work around this behaviour is to reset the flow (temporarily) to another value without drawing and then set it back again to its original value.  This behaviour happens with the Wacom and the mouse.  I switch a lot between between drawing and erasing and it's very annoying

When you use the Dry media/Triangle crayon brush check the context toolbar and "wet edges" should be on.

When you switch to and use the Eraser then switch back to the Paint Brush Tool has "wet edges" on the context toolbar been switched off?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Aha!  Thank you @carl123 that appears to be the source of the problem.   It looks as though use of the erase brush interferes in some way with the 'Wet edge' parameter though the erase brush doesn't have an obvious 'wet edge' setting itself.  The problem works either way around after the first time usage.  However, after explicitly setting 'wet edge' (or unsetting it), APhoto appears to remember it.  Will leave this thread for review by the moderators as the status of the problem has been reduced from 'very annoying' to 'inconvenient'.

I guess there's no substitute for experience!

Hi Subclavius

Yes, the "set wet edges" option changing unexpectedly has caused problems for a lot of people before

It was previously reported as "by design" in the post below by one of the support staff but they said they were going to raise it with the Devs again as it is catching a lot of people out 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.