You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Perspective tool acting inconsistently

Total newbie here...

I am trying to use the Perspective tool in Affinity Photo, and it is acting EXTREMELY inconsistently:

1. Most of the time, after sizing and placing the grid in Source mode, switching to Destination mode does nothing. Attempting to move the nodes just makes adjustments to the grid, not the image. Once in a great while it actually works for charging the image.

2. More often than not, choosing Dual Plane will make the grid tilted 90 degrees (that is, the center line that I would be using to adjust the perspective is on the horizontal axis instead of the vertical). Moving the nodes around to try to rotate the grid only causes extreme distortions in the image that I can't find any way to describe except by saying it looks like the image was cut into strips and some of them twisted around and possibly even turned into mirror images of themselves, and put into a sort of pinwheel.

3. When I am successful in getting a grid with a vertical center line, and adjust it in Source mode to fit the image which is not perfectly vertical (off by a few degrees), switching back to Destination mode makes the center line snap back to straight vertical.

I believe I am following the steps in every tutorial I have found. Any help here would be very gratefully appreciated!

Thank you!

Kevin

Welcome to the forums.
If you are having trouble with replicating the steps of a particular tutorial, if you post a link to the tutorial and tell us at which point your experience differs from what is in the tutorial then we can probably advise better. (Since we don’t know what you are trying to achieve – we don’t know what the tutorial is telling you to do, or why – it is difficult to know how to advise you to be able to achieve it.)

• 6 months later...

I have the same problem described in 2. by Kevin. Please help.  

-Dual Plane will make the grid tilted 90 degrees (that is, the center line that I would be using to adjust the perspective is on the horizontal axis instead of the vertical)

This only happens when I am working on a photo with portrait format.

image.png.ed1362a101649a7f18aec189cf2cd9df.png

Ive tried doing this on Mac but I can't get it exhibit this behaviour.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 hours ago, Luis Silva said:

Dual Plane will make the grid tilted 90 degrees (that is, the center line that I would be using to adjust the perspective is on the horizontal axis instead of the vertical)

This only happens when I am working on a photo with portrait format.

Correct, I can reproduce that consistently here. It occurs with portrait photos where the Exif Orientation =6 (Rotate 90 CW). This would be standard for most smart phones as well as ordinary cameras rotated CW to take portrait shots.

A work around (and it is a work around not a fix) is to Rotate the image 90 clockwise, then 90 anti clockwise, then export the image. This forces the software to change the Exif Orientation value to 1 (normal).  If the exported image is then opened in Affinity Photo, the Perspective Dual Pane will be correct way up.

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe