You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't add a tab stop lower than the higher already existing

I'm working on a catalog that make use of tab stops a lot.

I have created a paragraph style with all the tab stops needed. Great. But now i have a paragraph that need to have a new tap stop at the beginning of the line. To my surprise, Publisher don't let me add a tab stop lower than the higher already existing.

if i enter the measure manually, it jumps to the automatically added value. If I decrease the measure clicking the arrows or with the mouse wheel, only goes down to the value of the higher tab.

How can I add a smaller tab to a paragraph then? This means that i need to recreate all tabs in crescent order from scratch or modify all tabs values already existing. Does not make sense.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a paragraph
  2. Create some tab stops in the tabs panel, let's say: 10mm, 25mm, 50mm and 78mm
  3. Now try to create a tab stop at 13 mm. Impossible. Only let you create tabs 78mm or bigger.

Very odd, but if you can move the existing tab stops then there is a simple (albeit tedious!) workaround: change the 25 mm tab stop to 13 mm, the 50 mm stop to 25 mm, and the 78 mm stop to 50 mm, and then add a new tab stop at 78 mm to replace the one that you moved.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, Daniel Gibert said:

How can I add a smaller tab to a paragraph then? This means that i need to recreate all tabs in crescent order from scratch or modify all tabs values already existing.

Indeed strange UI. – The quickest workaround seems to be using a text frame: Click in the text frame ruler to create an additional tab between existing tabs. The new tab will be sorted in the list accordingly.

Another oddity of setting tabs: They may be set with default property only: Always left aligned & without a tab stop leader. No way to create right aligned tabs directly.
There is also no way to copy existing tabs to avoid this need of property adjustment afterwards.

And a gimmick: Click on the alignment and leader icons to change their background colour (as if de-activated), maybe to look more friendly? When I leave they turn back to their natural black.

940649558_tabstoppanel.jpg.ca99b32647a0e968a4e023e9d8f6c4e1.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

53 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Indeed strange UI. – The quickest workaround seems to be using a text frame: Click in the text frame ruler to create an additional tab between existing tabs. The new tab will be sorted in the list accordingly.

Didn't though about using the text frame ruler. Certainly is serves me well to solve the issue. Thanks!. Anyway, the issue is still there. A weird tabs panel.

• 5 months later...
18 minutes ago, Lannoy said:

The tabs panel shows 9 available tabs. The  present job I'm working on has a 12 tab requirement. How can I make more tabs?

What "tabs panel"?
In the Tabs section of the Paragraph Panel you can click the + to create tabs (seems to be unlimited) and scroll through the list (limited to display 8 at a time).

45318769_parpantabstopps.jpg.ec9682bc9a2e879c5102ae1f16981cd5.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1