You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Another design flaw with Edit Lock/Unlock (and a possible bug?)

Edit Lock/Unlock is a feature that has some serious design flaws. I made a thread discussing how it was still possible to edit layers with brush strokes, which is something you want to avoid since that's the point of wanting to lock a layer. However, I also noticed while working on a piece that despite locking the main layer of a stack with a mask clipped to the main layer, it was still perfectly possible to move around the layer with the Move Tool. This frankly should not happen and I would suggest having every single clipping layer being locked as well when you lock the main layer to make things more consistent across the board. This would also apply to things like groups as well, since locking the contents of a stack should mean the locking of everything inside said stack of layers.

Also, as you can see in the video, my clipped mask layer could also be locked manually, but no lock icon actually appears (a possible bug). However, if you unclip and clip it back to the same layer the icon finally appears. The way I created the original mask was pressing the Mask Layer icon at the bottom of the Layers panel, so try to do that first in order to replicate the invisible lock icon bug.