You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Concept Art :) Just switched over from PS

swobyman777

At first the tool cycle option was frustrating until I found out how to turn it off with a setting. 

Overall Photo runs far lighter than PS, the brushes are nice when they work and image resolution is always nice and sharp on export. The cons are that I can't simply import my PS brush collection and sometimes lines have weird jaggies/anti alias artifacts.

jason-swoboda-robos4.jpg

jason-swoboda-kraka.jpg

jason-swoboda-painting.jpg

BAY.png

witsn.png

@swobyman777 Really nice!

What kind of problems are you having with importing PS brushes? I was able to import all my brushes from Photoshop into Affinity, but a big downside was that you have to manually fix the settings for all of them since they don't all properly convert. Is that the problem you're having as well?

Is the jagged anti-aliasing problem something that occurs with all brushes or some? Are you using the 1.8.4 version? They recently rewrote the brush API to be WinTab instead of Windows Ink with better quality brush coordinates, so the typical jaggy lines I used to experience in older Affinity versions with fast brush strokes got vastly improved. Or maybe it is something else you mean?

20 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

@swobyman777 Really nice!

What kind of problems are you having with importing PS brushes? I was able to import all my brushes from Photoshop into Affinity, but a big downside was that you have to manually fix the settings for all of them since they don't all properly convert. Is that the problem you're having as well?

Is the jagged anti-aliasing problem something that occurs with all brushes or some? Are you using the 1.8.4 version? They recently rewrote the brush API to be WinTab instead of Windows Ink with better quality brush coordinates, so the typical jaggy lines I used to experience in older Affinity versions with fast brush strokes got vastly improved. Or maybe it is something else you mean?

Exactly. I don't know or really want to spend the time to adjust them each ... I have close to a 100 brushes in my workflow for texturing and bashing concepts and I have no grasp on affinity photo's brush settings; at first I thought it was the same as PS but it's drastically different. Is there some handy source on how to convert PS brushes properly into Photo? I would be interested.

I'm on windows and I know affinity allegedly runs better on OS X as it is designed to do so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it. If you see my post history I have some details - but yeah I will update and see if it helps. Just finished another piece, the acrylic brushes are damn good in Photo. 

warhammer.png

@swobyman777 Okay, I got it. Yeah, that is a big problem I agree. Don't really have any useful tips on how to fix it except for doing a couple at a time while working with those brushes specifically and then build up your library over time. Have no idea if it is even possible to fix when they are completely different programs and some settings are not quite the same as the ones existing in Photoshop. Eventually you should have all your brushes ready to go without it feeling like climbing a mountain.

I saw one of your topics. I made a comment there and explained it in more detail, but I guess you've already read it, lol. Also, yeah, there are some really kickass brushes in Photo. Took some time and just hijacked a bunch of them to put in my personal collection. A personal favourite of mine is the Natural Pencil 4B one from the Pencils section. It's also great as a smudge tool. 🥳