You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Intelligent Resource Manager

Not sure if I'm missing something obvious but if I have a my Publisher document and a folder containing all the Linked images/graphics used within the Publisher document both contained within the same folder and then I decide at a later date (after creating my document) to simply rename the folder containing  my images/graphics, resouce manager doesn't:

1. Give me the option to Update, only the option to Replace
  2. Allow me to Update or Replace all images/graphics in one go

When I Replace the first image, I would have expected Publisher to be intelligent enough to automatically recognise all the other now Missing images/graphics within the renamed folder because their file names have not changed and provide the option via a dialogue window to automatically ask if I want to update them. Currently you have to select each image/graphic individually and then select Replace which is painful in a document containing hundreds of images/graphics.

Having the preference 'Automatically update linked resources when externally' ticked in the Genral preferences, obviously only applies if a graphic has been modified but doesn't accommodate a simple folder name change. I hope this is something that will be improved moving forward, unless it's already there and I've missed it.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

If you rename the folder containing the graphics. and then Open the Publisher document, you should get a popup offering choices of No, Yes, and Resource Manager. If you choose Yes rather than Resource Manager then you'll be able to locate one of the images, and at that point Publisher will automatically locate the rest of them. This function is not available if you choose Resource Manager.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt, not entirely sure how I missed that, makes perfect sense now... blinkered vision me thinks 🙂

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

To me it's unexpected that Yes offers the automatic relocation function, and Resource Manager doesn't. I think that many users probably have missed finding that function :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I have to agree, to my 'logical' brain, I would have expected that functionality from within Resource Manager as well!