You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Latest release of AP just crashes on Windows

Just recently updated to the latest 1.8.4 release of AP on my Windows 10 desktop computer and I can't open any file; TIFF, Canon raw, Panasonic raw, etc. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a way to get technical support other than through these forums?

Thanks!

I don't have any problem opening any Canon or Panasonic RAW files, TIFF and JPG files. What kind or error do you get?

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

1 minute ago, AlainP said:

I don't have any problem opening any Canon or Panasonic RAW files, TIFF and JPG files. What kind or error do you get?

No error seen. I do File>Open, select any raw or 16-bit TIFF file on my computer, and BAM...AP is gone! Maybe I should just download and re-install 1.8.4, again?

You can try this, but you should first try to start Photo using the "Ctrl" key and clear everything to see if it fixes your problem. If it doesn't you could reinstall but restart your computer before reinstalling.

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

6 minutes ago, AlainP said:

You can try this, but you should first try to start Photo using the "Ctrl" key and clear everything to see if it fixes your problem. If it doesn't you could reinstall but restart your computer before reinstalling.

Did both of these things and no help. Is it possible to get Technical Support from Serif?

OK, more info...

1) Downloaded and installed 1.8.3 and same issue.

2) Removed prior version, updated my graphics driver to the latest version, shutdown my computer completely and re-booted to ensure Windows cache, etc, is cleared, then re-installed 1.8.4. No help...still crashes.

I would guess that support from Serif is not available on the weekends? Will someone from Serif see this post and help me out?

Thanks!

They will for sure, untill then you should state your computer specs.

-- Macbook Air 15"

• Staff

Hi Alan9940,

I'm sorry to hear the app is crashing for you.

Please could you press Windows key + R and paste this into the RUN box: %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\  then rename the 1.0 folder to 1.0.old then try opening Affinity to see if this problem persists?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

@Alan9940

Have you recieved any answer? Just in case that it could be helpful... I discovered that if you change your renderer option to WARP in the performance box it runs but frustatingly slow. I hope that could help a bit. Maybe there is an incompatibility with nvidia drivers.

3 minutes ago, Venyer said:

@Alan9940

Have you recieved any answer? Just in case that it could be helpful... I discovered that if you change your renderer option to WARP in the performance box it runs but frustatingly slow. I hope that could help a bit. Maybe there is an incompatibility with nvidia drivers.

Normally when users are experiencing crashes when opening / creating documents it's because their graphics driver is crashing. An uninstall and reinstall of their GPU drivers normally solves it.

I've just signed up here because the upgrade to 1.8.4 and it's painfully slow.

Under 1.8.3, I could batch process 100 images in 2-3 minutes - CR2 files to jpg, cropped.

1.8.4 - I'm trying to process 47 images and it's taken around 20 minutes so far and not even halfway through.

I'm running on an AMD 6300, 32GB RAM, nvidia GTX 1060 (6GB). There's plenty of storage as well, and they're not sluggish drives...

@Venyer - Thank you so much for your suggestion...it fixed my issue! And, I didn't due a bunch of complicated edits, I didn't notice the app running particularly slow. I agree that it's looking like some sort of incompatibility with NVIDIA drivers. I haven't heard anything further on this issue from Serif. Perhaps, one day it will simply auto-magically fix itself.

@Mark Ingram - Though I wasn't having any other issues with the current version of my graphics driver, there was an update available so I updated to the latest version, but no help with my AP crashing issue.