You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Embedding of tables (Publisher)

Hi everyone,

I'm rather desperate about the behaviour of tables when included in the text.
When I want to "pin" a table it jumps outside the page and is only visible as an outline with x (like a master element). 
The whole thing is reproducible.

Also embedding into the text does not work. I have unfortunately very extensive texts with many tables and Publisher is so unfortunately for me not usable.😐

Image 1: Choosing the table

Image 2: Choosing “Pin” 

Image 3: Choosing “Text embedding”

I hope someone can help solve this problem.

Ella

MacOs 10.15.6, Affinity Publisher 1.8.4

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-07 um 10.23.29.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-07 um 10.23.39.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-08 um 15.55.29.png

Hi Ella03,
Welcome to the Affinity Forums!

5 hours ago, Ella03 said:

(...) only visible as an outline with x (like a master element). (...)

Image 3: Choosing “Text embedding”

Your screenshots don't show / your text doesn't tell

... on what page the objects are placed ("master"?)
... where  / how you did choose "Text embedding"

Here's how it looks like here:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi tomaso,

thank you for your reply. 

No, it is no Master page and I select the table and I choose ambedding from the menu bar.

When I create a new document, everything behaves as in your example. But I have a 120-page document in which I often have to insert tables afterwards

What kind of software do you use to "film" this? Maybe my problem will become clearer.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-09 um 12.43.46.png

As a mac user I do screencasts with the build-in tool, "shift-cmd-5" will open it. I am not sure about Windows and a build-in option but there are various free tools you can install, for instance "VLC Media Player" https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

I still don't understand what you mean with "Text Embedding", and what text you do embed where. As far I see there is nowhere a menu command with "embed". Please try to speak in the terms used by the app menus and buttons, for buttons they will appear in tool tips when hovering for a few seconds over a button.

Thank you, thomaso.

Cologne? Dann denke ich wir können auch auf deutsch schreiben ;)

shift+command+5 kannte ich noch nicht – immerhin habe ich da schon mal was dazu gelernt.

Dieses seltsame Verhalten (es ist mit jeder Tabelle in dem Dokument so!) wird hoffentlich so klarer. Beim Pin („frei beweglich mit Text“) springt es außerhalb der Seite und läßt sich auch nicht mehr auswählen (X). Bei der Auswahl „Im Text integriert“ springt es ebenfalls und legt sich über den Text (sieht man in den transparenten Zellen). Es läßt sich zwar auswählen, aber nicht an die gewünschte Stelle bewegen.

Can you supply the actual .afpub file, or a subset of it that illustrates the problem? (Or an entirely different sample document that illustrates it?)

It is often easier to figure out a problem with an actual file, as there are usually several possible answers and without the file we need to guess.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 minutes ago, Ella03 said:

I send you a chapter from the document with two tables. I will also add the problem

Thanks.

I see the same behavior you're reporting, but I cannot explain why it is happening. You are pinning the table into text that is in a text frame from a Master Page, but I created a new document and I can do that successfully in my new document. In my document it works both for text frames from a Master Page and text frames created directly on a document page.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It seems that the Master Pages have the main Text Frames linked from right to left and then in the Pages those frames are linked left to right. I am not sure how that contributes to your problem if in fact it does.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 hours ago, Ella03 said:

No, it is no Master page

32 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

It seems that the Master Pages have the main Text Frames

Obviously the table gets pinned into the master page layer on your document page. So you can select the according master layer and choose "Edit detached" to get access to the table.

Before pinning: The text frame is within the master page layer but the table is above (I set the table to invisible to make the text layer more obvious)

942686472_pinningbefore.jpg.6d060d619b4db8ade77c9256a7dffad6.jpg

After pinning: the pinned table layer got moved as nested layer within the text layer (which was inside the master layer already before pinning).

1969686229_pinningafter.jpg.bdf345b314ffa8267c76c2023147da26.jpg

p.s.: Ella, Du kannst im Forum natürlich auch auf Deutsch schreiben – das macht es aber schwieriger für den größeren Anteil englisch-sprachiger User. Mehr und schnellere Antwort gibts also meistens mit Englisch.